Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many know that I continue to review tires .. both car and motorcycle tires.

Although I dont claim to understand it all, I did find most of the content given in the link below to be very informative. I only wish that they made comparison to the car tire on the motorcycle. I have yet to find anything following the form of this doc that shows technical data and info related to the Darkside.

http://dr650.zenseeker.net/Tires/MCTireInfo.pdf

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Good reading for a sport racing bike.

I ride a large framed touring bike and the experience of many others has shown that a car tire is a better application for my bike.

I started by reading this article, written by a guy who has rode over 100,000 miles on a car tire:

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

After reading the above, I became open minded but still skeptical of the darksiders.

Then I read personal stories from:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=57203&forum_id=4&highlight=darkside

This led me to start researching a specific tire for the 1500 and got here:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=102583&forum_id=1&highlight=Federal+FORMOZA

In this thread.... you will see my posts of ordering the tire and the total costs was $90.00 to my door.

I now have 17,000 miles on it, and it is half worn out.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6604

Darkside tires is a very interesting subject. I went darkside after researching it. I continue to read much of what is posted on this subject to keep current what is going on.

Would I do it again, yes, I would. I am not one to make a decision and then support it to the end. Had I felt that the tire was not for me, it would have been a $200 mistake.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
You probably won't find it. " Darkside " riders are fringe group that rely on experience over expectations. Darksiders are empirical riders. The theory has yet to catch up with experience, they ride for today and wait for the theorist to explain it tomorrow.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You probably won't find it. " Darkside " riders are fringe group that rely on experience over expectations. Darksiders are empirical riders. The theory has yet to catch up with experience, they ride for today and wait for the theorist to explain it tomorrow.
Well put Lee. For me, having a MT (stock and 2 E3's) completely bald by 3500 miles made me look for alternatives. The Kuhmo CT, at 3500 miles looks nearly new, although I am watching the area where the tread meets the sidewall, as this is where the tire is showing the most signs of wear. Of worthy note is that I have absolutely torture tested this CT on rides including two full trackdays of staying on the absolute edge of the tire.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
Well put Lee. For me, having a MT (stock and 2 E3's) completely bald by 3500 miles made me look for alternatives. The Kuhmo CT, at 3500 miles looks nearly new, although I am watching the area where the tread meets the sidewall, as this is where the tire is showing the most signs of wear. Of worthy note is that I have absolutely torture tested this CT on rides including two full track days of staying on the absolute edge of the tire.
I try to ride a bit more conservative and not because I can't ride differently, but because I don't pay the bills. I answer to a higher authority. If'n you know what I mean.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been fallowing the DARKSIDE issues for awhile because I want to join up. how ever I notice alot of talk about the price of tires. This is my personal opinion,I dont care about the cost of the tire ,its the only thing that is keeping you alive. I do care if the tire gives better traction,less hydroplaning, and as a bonus gives smoother, quieter ride allong with more miles. This would tell me that this is the tire my passenger and I could live with for a touring tire Again the last consern is the cost,but .if I can get all this, from any tire store in every small town along the hyway at a reduced price, then count me in. .C/t I am on board

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
I have been fallowing the DARKSIDE issues for awhile because I want to join up. how ever I notice alot of talk about the price of tires. This is my personal opinion,I dont care about the cost of the tire ,its the only thing that is keeping you alive. I do care if the tire gives better traction,less hydroplaning, and as a bonus gives smoother, quieter ride allong with more miles. This would tell me that this is the tire my passenger and I could live with for a touring tire Again the last consern is the cost,but .if I can get all this, from any tire store in every small town along the hyway at a reduced price, then count me in. .C/t I am on board
From what the CT testers have said all of the above is correct. But I am not ready to come on board yet. To the point that my next MT is in the shed. When I get to the USA the Darksiders can show it off to me. Eric

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
I have to admit I'm more than a tad curious about it myself, but I'm 20,000 km and 3 years into my D250 and another all mounted waiting to go on this coming season. I've ordered my Bridgestone 709for the front to replace the OEM 250. Biggest hurdle I have to overcome now is findinf the TPMS testing unit so I can mate the new sensor in the rear wheel to my bike's receiving module. The current ones are contracted out (not a Honda piece of kit) but there is a glitch in them so I have to wait for the update to clear efore aquiring one. Don't need to do the reset unless you are changing sending units (as in my replacement wheel) so a tire change on the original rim does't affect the system.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I am shopping for a TPMS to start using for this year's upgrade. Next year, I will be mounting up a Dunlop Wintersport Run Flat car tire.

I want the security of knowing that the pressure in my tire is ok..... and when it starts to fall off.... I want to pull off.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
My only desisions left is a RUN FLAT or not, and which brand as I do not have TPS on my 2006.
Can't go wrong with a Kumho as your first tire. I'm seeing a lot of Michelin Alpine PA3 being boasted about. Have you been to the Darkside forum ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts