Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there is a lot of variables, but for a average quality tire at 90% hyway,crusing speed. GUESS.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
I'd say about 10-12K miles.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
What if I use a car tire on the back?? :D:D:D

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't know about the two "Wimps" above me but mine only seem to last about 7000 miles.:D
But then again, I am pretty hard on my tires.........ok, I am hard on the entire bike but I only use what performance Honda gave me!! And let me tell ya, the GL1800 can do a lot more than most Owners know!

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I usually got 16k out of my OEM tires on my 98 GL1500. I expect to get around 12-14k out of my tires on my 09 GL1800. I'm not agressive in my driving style so hopefully that adds to the mileage I will get. I have 10k on them now and they look fine..

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I don't know about the two "Wimps" above me but mine only seem to last about 7000 miles.:D
But then again, I am pretty hard on my tires.........ok, I am hard on the entire bike but I only use what performance Honda gave me!! And let me tell ya, the GL1800 can do a lot more than most Owners know!
Im right at 9500.00 miles on the OEM's and they look pretty good. I keep both tires in the 39 to 41 psi range and I am pretty religious about tire pressure (gotta squeeze ever cent out of that rubber).

Buzzy I am glad that the bike can do way more than I can. I am practicing and trying to be a better rider. It does make me warm and fuzzy knowing that its there if I accidently do it or need to use it. :D . Ride safe :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Im right at 9500.00 miles on the OEM's and they look pretty good. I keep both tires in the 39 to 41 psi range and I am pretty religious about tire pressure (gotta squeeze ever cent out of that rubber).

Buzzy I am glad that the bike can do way more than I can. I am practicing and trying to be a better rider. It does make me warm and fuzzy knowing that its there if I accidently do it or need to use it. :D . Ride safe :)
I am by no means a Pro rider! What I consider "Hard on the Tires" is probably a walk in the park for a real pro.
And in all honesty, I still have rubber left when I change them. My problem is that when they start "Singing" too loud, they are coming off!
I have been thru the OEM Dunflops and I am now on my second set of Stones with set #3 coming in a couple weeks.
I maintain 39psi front and 41psi rear. I have a TPMS and I adjust them constantly with the changing weather patterns around here and I always check them in the morning and cold.

My biggest problem is how I ride.
I love hard acceleration.
I love quick and hard leaning lane changes even when there is no need for it.
I love taking the same curves every day @ just a notch faster than the day before till I reach the point where my butt puckers so hard I pinch a piece of leather off the seat!

I am very hard on my breaks as well. That combined with the constant sprint race to and from work every day leads me to premature tire wear. I could probably got 12000 miles out of my last set of stones had it not been for the singing issue.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I ride like a baby rocking in a bassinet, most of the time. With the Bridgestones I get about 10 to 12 K miles on the front and 8 to 9 K miles on the rear. Tires are my pet peeve about M/C riding. I'm about ready to go to the "UnderWorld"...(DarkSide).

·
Registered
466 Posts
I ride like a baby rocking in a bassinet, most of the time. With the Bridgestones I get about 10 to 12 K miles on the front and 8 to 9 K miles on the rear. Tires are my pet peeve about M/C riding. I'm about ready to go to the "UnderWorld"...(DarkSide).

Tires are a pet peeve of mine too. I was shocked the other day when a buddy and his wife came to the house on his Ultra Classic. I was adding about 1.5 lbs of air in the rear tire and he was poking fun at me because of it.
Well by the time I was done, he wanted to check his tires and told me it's been about a year since he checked them!:eek:
He had 22 psi front and 20 psi rear!!! I told him that HD much ride like it's floating on a cloud!! Then told him what an idiot he is!

He is Mr. Safety when it comes to everything else but for some reason doesn't see the importance of tire care!

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I always try to check the pressure before I ride while they are cold. I have a turn that the best I have been able to do was 70. The other day I nailed it and just kept my head up and kept saying "your not touchin your good." I glanced and I was at 75. I was so happy I nailed the next turn and almost jumped off the bike to do the "Walter Houston dance." :D

That is the good thing about life we get to mix with all types of skill levels. I took a buddy on a route I ride when I only have a short bit of time. He had not rode in a few years. I told him "do not try to impress me, you might run off and leave me." Plus dont care how good you are, I have ridden with some folks that WOW! We all still get where we are going just takes me a little bit longer!!! Stay safe and WINTER time SUCKS!! :D:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dunlop Tires

Changed my OEM tires at about 9300 miles (not K's), even though they still had rubber on them. I still had 4000 miles plus to go before my trip was complete. Glad I did, hit becoup rain from Virginia all the way to northern Georgia. I expect I'll end up changing tires about every 12-13000 miles, unless I'm planning a long trip.
Ride Safe,
T-Rex
2010 Wing with over 13,000 miles on it at present.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Perk! Did someone mention car tires?

I have 12,500 on my car tire and still have 70% tread left.

Tires are used up every acceleration or braking and turns....... If you ride like old people have sex... you get more mileage out of the tires. That is all I am saying.

I would never recommend someone using a car tire on the back of their motorcycle. I would recommend they do their research and if they choose to save money and get better performance on braking cornering and acceleration then they would follow their heart.

I am ordering a new dark side tire for my new Silverwing this week.
Sumoto 175/70/R13 fits the Silverwing fine and there are plenty of people already using the tire.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
See me Buzzy when you're ready for a real tire.

·
Registered
466 Posts
See me Buzzy when you're ready for a real tire.
My friend, I have a Kumo mounted up on a spare wheel in the garage. I tried it and I don't like it.
I plan to use it for extended trips but for around here, I will stick with my stones! Just can't beat the nimble feeling of a nice round MC tire!

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
My friend, I have a Kumo mounted up on a spare wheel in the garage. I tried it and I don't like it.
I plan to use it for extended trips but for around here, I will stick with my stones! Just can't beat the nimble feeling of a nice round MC tire!
I have heard of one other person who tried it and didn't like it. Thank you for saying so. I was looking for this type of feedback when I was doing my research.

I read so many.... "You will die a fiery death if you put a car tire on a motorcycle...." postings. Your post, "I didn't like it." Speaks volumes to me as you at least have some experience with it.

Larry

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
7,000 miles a tire ? Giddy up, full steam ahead.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm coming up on 20K kms on my '09 with the OEM D250s (almost 12,000 mikes) and they're not at the wear indicators yet, especially the front. But they are noisier now. My new D250 and wheel go on in the spring along with a front Bridgestone. Expec another 3 year stint and another 20,000 km from tem, mayber better as I'm also going to mount my centramatics too. Woohoo, no more ugly weights on the rims.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I could be wrong (usually am just ask the wife :D ) but dont we have a video of Dooko absolutely ripping up the track with a CT????? Seemed pretty nimble to me and even got me thinking I could feel the power of the "dark side."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts