Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes 2008 gl1800. removed dunlop 180/60R 16. replacing with Bridgestone 180/70R 16. Front tire 130/70R 18 dunlop removed these. replacing with Bridgestone 130/70R 18

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I checked with some ABS owners and they said NO. You are going to increase the speedometer error though. Have you considered a car tire for the rear ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I only went with a higher profile tire to raise the rear eliminating dragging around sharp corners. With the new tires I am using dynobeads. Put on fork brace as well and airwings. Making fork tunnel foam wind blocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changing tire size will surely affect ABS, i dont know if ABS can be adjusted for different tire sizes, you will have to check this out.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There will be affect on the bike or the ABS braking system. Happens a lot with pre 09 Gold Wings to correct the speedo.
ABS works in a panic stop by identifying if a wheel is about to lock up when you press the brake pedal, it does that by detecting a rapid deceleration in speed, than allows the force of the brake fluid going to that wheel to be lightened so it will not lock up, that is why you will feel a pulsing sensation in the brake pedal when the ABS is activated.
Look at all the cars and SUV's on the road with ABS and run different size tires than the stock size.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I checked with some ABS owners and they said NO. You are going to increase the speedometer error though. Have you considered a car tire for the rear ?
Boy, you won't give that dog a rest will you.... LOL

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
If you are worried about clearance for cornering, have you tried upping your rear preload to the max value? A 70 series tyre will make your speedo read lower. Other than that there should be no negative effect on the ABS. I get a bit radical on mine and have no dragging issues until I get to the point of being a bit into the stupid zone. I go full pop on the pre-load when I'm riding that way by myself, drop it a bit (3 points) when two up with the Mrs unless we're at full load and then full up. If I'm in a mellow mood I drop the pre-load down to about half.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts