Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is not to much of a repete, I went back several pages and did not fine this question. I have a 2004 GL1800 with a stock rear tire of 180/60 / 16. I want to put a wider tire on the back, 200/60/16, using the stock rim. Will this fit?? and can I go wider?? I do NOT want to put a car tire on the bike and I like the Metzeler ME880. Any Ideas???

How about a 200/60R 16????

·
Registered
52 Posts
How about a 200/60R 16????
I have read alot of post where riders are using 205 55 16 CT. I would also be intrested to know if a 200 60 16 MT tire would work on a 1800. I am not sold on going to a CT at this time but also would like a wider tire to help with wet traction.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
I have read alot of post where riders are using 205 55 16 CT. I would also be intrested to know if a 200 60 16 MT tire would work on a 1800. I am not sold on going to a CT at this time but also would like a wider tire to help with wet traction.
It's refutable by those who do not ride on a C/T, but the best all- around rear wheel traction you're going to get is from a C/T.Why doesn't everyone just pick a tire that satisfies their needs and leave out the " C/T " epithet. It's a tire : round and rubbery with a hole in the center.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
WHAT? I can't beleive this. There is someone that doesn't want a CT on his wing. Sorry to hijack you. I have been looking at the Michelen commander. They say that they get good mileage out of them. Eric

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
It's refutable by those who do not ride on a C/T, but the best all- around rear wheel traction you're going to get is from a C/T.Why doesn't everyone just pick a tire that satisfies their needs and leave out the " C/T " epithet. It's a tire : round and rubbery with a hole in the center.
Probably should listen to your own advice.;)

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
Sorry I posted
We was just having a bit of fun, 'ol fossil, me and Larry. It's we who should not have posted as we had no answer to your specific question. Opinions we have plenty, answers we are sometimes short on. But we are always friendly about it.

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Sorry I posted
Let me echo the toughts of the Maesto.

Delta sorry to take your thread in the wrong direction. Unfortunately it does happen from time to time.

It appears that no one here has tried a wider tire. Sorry.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The question I would ask if a wider MT would in fact help with wet traction? I would say yes going straight, but around corners you would still have the same contact patch as the factory size wouldn't you? If wet riding is your concern I would buy a tire that is designed for that condition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.