Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a tire replaced at a Honda dealership and they put a Shinko 747 on the rear. Two weeks before I stored the bike for the winter the same shop put a Dunlop Elite 3 on the front. Is there a problem not matching the tires and is it safe to have radial tires on a 1999 GL1500SE.It appeared to handle ok on the ride home. I rode at 100 kms./hr. Thanks

Tom

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
The GL1500 is designed to run bias ply tires. I use Dunlop E3's on my 1500, I never mixed and matched tires on it, too scared.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'd be a bit leery of mix n matched tires too. Compounds vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. With the discontinuation of the Michelin Pilot GT's I'll be on E 3's in a few seasons.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The 1500 is not designed for a radial, take it back to the dealer and have them replace it on their dime. You can mix tire brands but not radial and bias belted tires, You do not want a Shinko tire on your bike, they are, like the name implies STINKO

Check out all the tires for the 1500. none have a (R) in them which stands for radial.
http://wingstuff.com/cat_tires.php

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've not heard many good comments about Shinko either. As far as radials on the 1500 I think bias ply are a better way to go.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
shinko bought the yokohama ( yuckohama ) castings for their tires and i'm with joe. would not put them on my bike, any of them bicycles included

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a tire replaced at a Honda dealership and they put a Shinko 747 on the rear. Two weeks before I stored the bike for the winter the same shop put a Dunlop Elite 3 on the front. Is there a problem not matching the tires and is it safe to have radial tires on a 1999 GL1500SE.It appeared to handle ok on the ride home. I rode at 100 kms./hr. Thanks

Tom
I'm a bit curious. Why did the dealer put on Shinko's and mix match them? Did he do it at your request or did you just tell him to put tires on your bike.
If he took it upon himself to install the mixed match set, I would bring it back and make him take them off and put on the correct bia tires at his expense. (Unless I missed something in your post). Also if he did that, I'd find another shop to do business with.:)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That's a big fubar inmy books, call the dealer back if he did it on his own call.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts