Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P1080427.jpg

P1080428.jpg

Hi All, Just a quick statement/question, after a ride on the W/E and a slight to moderate vibration on my return home I find this split in the Bridgstone 704 after 17,300km with Centramatics fitted (luv these things by the way) as you can see by the wear marker still good for a bit yet but then this happened! not sure why or how! did not run over anything unusal or anything like that but a bit of a mystery non the less!
Apparently over here at the moment the G709 & G704 are moving across to the Exedra type tire within the year.
I know these tires are imported so I can't see why I can't bye them from Wingstuff but I keep being advised not to as the rubber might not be to the Australian standard! which I find hard to swallow but what do ya do...
Look forward to any advise or comments
Paul

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Our member Manxmann and his mate in Western Australia have being having the same problem with that tire. With the small number of Australian members on this forum and so many of them having problems I would try a different brand. Eric

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our member Manxmann and his mate in Western Australia have being having the same problem with that tire. With the small number of Australian members on this forum and so many of them having problems I would try a different brand. Eric
Really? by what I have read 17+K would have been not too bad for rear even though, with our lovely country having a round about on each corner and having some of the hottest parts of the Bruce hwy in my area I really was thinking hmmm not to bad!
Was it about the same K's do you know Eric?

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Really? by what I have read 17+K would have been not too bad for rear even though, with our lovely country having a round about on each corner and having some of the hottest parts of the Bruce hwy in my area I really was thinking hmmm not to bad!
Was it about the same K's do you know Eric?
Cloud. Here is Manxmann's thread:http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6343&highlight=Manxmann&page=4 His rear tire separated at 11,820 kms. You can read in the thread that some here have suggested he run a car tire on the rear. Something strange is happening down there.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
As we all know a tyre is most likely to give trouble in it's end of usable life. But when you think of what we sometime do on them. Eg speed, weight, wet roads. The last thing you would want is the tread to come off. I was doing 100mph when a rear tyre blew out with a pillion passenger. It went into a tank slapper and I was lucky to get the speed down without coming off. After hearing about the tread lifting on these tyres, I would look at what eles is out there. If it was only 1 tyre that I had heard about doing it, I may still put one on. We probally only have 6 Aussies on this forum and maybe only 3 with 1800 wings. And 2 of them have had the tread lift. Same tyre, same bike. So it wouldn't go on my bike. Eric

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thks Chopin/Eric

Interesting comments from all, when I read all the info in general about Tyres etc I think over 17K is probably not a bad effort from the rear tyre to begin with especially in this climate & hwy conditions, the car tyre is know raising some serious questions for me now as most of my riding is straight roads! twisties at speed would represent less than 5% of road time! then again round a bouts are a different bloody story, now I have to find/research the right CT for here....

·
Registered
63 Posts
wrong direction?

I was thinking that since you guys are "down-under", that the tires (tyres) may be mounted for the wrong rotation? After all, the toilets there flush the opposite direction and all.....right? NO?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking that since you guys are "down-under", that the tires (tyres) may be mounted for the wrong rotation? After all, the toilets there flush the opposite direction and all.....right? NO?
haha, you may have a point there SteveF, will look into that!

Turns out after looking into & discussions etc that there is a couple of issues around here in Aussie land with the tyre de-laminating. I may have been one of the lucky one's to get 17+K out of it.
I was informed by Bridgestone Aust. that they do not import any Motocycle tyre into Australia it's all done by EuroTyres (import mob)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Having been in your neckof the woods I can appreciate what you say about the conditions and the road surfaces. They'd be hell on tires I think. Wish I could offer some ideas or assistance for you, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what to offer. The Aussie import rules are a real pain for you all over/down there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having been in your neckof the woods I can appreciate what you say about the conditions and the road surfaces. They'd be hell on tires I think. Wish I could offer some ideas or assistance for you, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what to offer. The Aussie import rules are a real pain for you all over/down there.
Yeah all is good! its all food for thought and as usual all the comments are great to mull over anyway, after experiencing the GW for a couple of years now I can safely say that the Aussie market just does not get us wingers! I/we are constantly finding out new tricks or products & learning more through you guys/girls/forums over there! what really ticks me off is when I hear "careful what you get from over there (USA) it may not be right for the bike here" dam that sh#ts me to tears!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah all is good! its all food for thought and as usual all the comments are great to mull over anyway, after experiencing the GW for a couple of years now I can safely say that the Aussie market just does not get us wingers! I/we are constantly finding out new tricks or products & learning more through you guys/girls/forums over there! what really ticks me off is when I hear "careful what you get from over there (USA) it may not be right for the bike here" dam that sh#ts me to tears!
Hey Cloud! I just spent six weeks in your lovely land and saw precious few Wings. Here's a theory though,.....you guys drive on the wrong, (just kidding,) I mean, other side of the road. On a straight stretch, the crown of the road is on your right side, putting more stress on the tread right of centre! Your regular tires, (tyres) aren't built for that. They're made for the stress coming from left of centre like when you're driving on the left side. You've got to get yourself some bloody left hand drive tyres.

How's that for a theory!

YV

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Cloud! I just spent six weeks in your lovely land and saw precious few Wings. Here's a theory though,.....you guys drive on the wrong, (just kidding,) I mean, other side of the road. On a straight stretch, the crown of the road is on your right side, putting more stress on the tread right of centre! Your regular tires, (tyres) aren't built for that. They're made for the stress coming from left of centre like when you're driving on the left side. You've got to get yourself some bloody left hand drive tyres.

How's that for a theory!

YV
Your absolutely right! if can find me a left hand screwdriver, some emery sparks & a metric shifter I'm all over this one!
Because of our annual rain fall amounts the camber of the road is a little more savage than some as well.... just to add to your theory!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts