Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the front and read tire size ranges for a 2004 GL1800?

I know stock is:

130/70/18 - Front
180/60/16 - Rear

But I would like some options in which tires I buy.

Im currently lookin gat the Michelin Commander II, but they do not have the GL1800 stock size.

Someone mentioned on one of these fourms, 195/55/16, but will a 195 be too wide for a GL1800?

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
The 195/55/16 rear tire is a typical car tire size. I run one on the back of my 08 GL1800. Check with our member " EFINREF ". He hails from near Fort Payne, AL . He'll get you fixed up with a nice rear tire. There are some " optional " front tires available for the GL1800, but let's start with the rear first.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Heck yeah.....I have a brand new 195/55/16 Michelin Primacy ZP waiting patiently for the old one to wear down. Just come up my way and I can hook you up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
28,515 Posts
Well I see the C.T.C. has gotten their hooks into you.:nah:

Anyway, as far as sizes go I'll let the 1800 guys chime in because that is out of my knowledge range.

I do know that I've heard good things about Avons, E3's are what they are & Budoka (our Admin) really loves his Bridgestones.

Now not to bash the Car Tire boys to bad, their option does work for many & you may want to do some research on the subject. Just be wary that you may be subject to Cult like tactics.

:flame:

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Now not to bash the Car Tire boys to bad, their option does work for many & you may want to do some research on the subject. Just be wary that you may be subject to Cult like tactics.

:flame:
Be wary of the Anti-Car Tire Cult. :flame:

·
Super Moderator
28,515 Posts
Be wary of the Anti-Car Tire Cult. :flame:
Those that feel persecuted are most often the persecuters.

Sorry for the HiJack.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I'm not looking to go to the dark side.

All I want to know is the size range I can use on my 1800

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Sorry, I'm not looking to go to the dark side.

All I want to know is the size range I can use on my 1800
Good. We got that cleared up. We Darksiders didn't mean to get all fired up, but you did list our most popular car tire size. What you can surmise from all this is that a 195/55/16 tire fits on our Wings. What sizes are available in motorcycle tires I know not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, let me rephase the question.

Will any of these sizes work on a 2004 GL1800?

Rear
130/90B16 73H (repl. MT90 B16)
140/90B16 77H (repl. MU85 B16)
150/80B16 77H
180/65B16 81H

My guess is the 180/65B16 will , but the bike with sit taller? Not that that would be a problem for me - Long legs (6'2")

Im thinking of the Michelin Commander II
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=Commander

Anyone use them (both front & read) and/or have any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
I know some riders run a 70 series tire on the rear. It corrects the inherent speedometer error that was corrected in 2010. You're looking at going from a Radial to a Bias- Ply tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know some riders run a 70 series tire on the rear. It corrects the inherent speedometer error that was corrected in 2010. You're looking at going from a Radial to a Bias- Ply tire.
How should that effect the ride or anything else?
As you can see, I do not know too much

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
I don't know. I know earlier Wings use bias-ply tires and GL1800 use radials. Is a radial tire designed rim compatible with a bias-ply tire ? Let's ask. I posed the question to the GL1800 gang. I'll be back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.