Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little background first. My '95 Aspy had 6 yr old tires, to old for me.
So I went to a nearby motorcycle dealer 35 miles away for new tires. The days prior I kept losing pressure in front tire. I couldn't find the cause so I even used Slime to try to keep up the pressure. So I went from gas station air pump to air pump every 7 miles or so. I told the dealer that I wanted to know the cause of the pressure loss. As the installation proceeded I checked on progress ( I was there waiting) just before the front wheel was reinstalled the back tire was already done. So I asked the mechanic what was the cause of my leak. Puzzeled look and then he looks at the newly mounted and balanced tire and wiggles the valve stem; air leak bad valve stem probably 15 years old! I could have left there thinking every thing was fixed and with new tires if I hadn't asked! I wonder if I would have made it home. He said they only install new valve stems if asked to do so. Now I wonder about my rear tire valve stem.
The new stem cost me $12.56.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't have much motorcycle experience, but considering the work to install new tires, I find it amazing that a dealer wouldn't do it automatically or at the least, suggest it to the customer. Even a metal valve stem is only about a $10.00 item.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Another stupid case of " Sir, if you don't tell me exactly what you want, how am I to know ? I just work here. " I'll wonder about this next time I go in for surgery!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That is amazing, when you put new tires on a car they put new stems in all the time, on a bike you have to ask. I had a new tire put on my 08 Gold Wing Tuesday, when I went to pay for it they told me they put a new stem on, well I was glad and not so glad, They should of asked me first, and if I was going to put a new stem in I would not have used the Honda one, I would have used the Patch Boy stem.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Whatever happened to good ole common sense...customer sastifaction....Pride in your work....

#1 answer from the mush-minds at my work
"uhh, nobody told me.":confused:

#2 answer
"It's was like that when I got it.":(

#3 answer
"all this damage happened when I was off the other day":mad:

·
Registered
905 Posts
We at the House of Horsepower are required by the BOSS (that would be me) to install new valve stems in all new tire installs, NO EXCEPTIONS and no charge to our customers!

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
We at the House of Horsepower are required by the BOSS (that would be me) to install new valve stems in all new tire installs, NO EXCEPTIONS and no charge to our customers!
Kudos. When I replace a garage door opener gear I replace the whole assembly. I don't ask the customer if they want just the gear replaced. Parts are cheap, customers are expensive to replace.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Come on, this can not be real.

This is what happens when you let ANYONE close to your tires, dealer dick or any other decapitated soul, they can care less and this is what you do :

You stand there and you watch them mount the tire, then you watch them do a balance on BOTH sides of the rim and you make SURE they tell you that the weights will not fly off the wheel and you take a photo of the weights just in case and that freaks them out. If everything goes ok , when you get home, mark the position of those lead weights, peal the cheap ass double stick tape off from them and get some contact cement on there.

But the main thing is to watch the a**hole that does the mounting and balancing and if they tell you that you can't be in the shop due to insurance crap, find another joint. Trust me, I see floor sweepers trying to do this at major MC dealerships asking me where to put the weights.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Astor123
Thanks for info and reply. Now do I need to worry about my rear tire stem being 15 years old, but you tell me that I should redo the adhesive for the weights! I did notice that I now have stick-on weights. I was also I little concerned that it didn't look like the rim was cleaned in that spot. I guess I will take pictures.
Questions: What type of contact cement ?, and what do you mean balance both sides of rim ? How would I know.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can't believe that your rear tire stem wasn't replaced last time you did the tire change unless your tire is just as old. If it's still holding the pressure, bend it a little and see if it shows any small cracks and if it does, replace it, if not just rub some vaseline on it and replace it next time when you change the tire.

Wilders contact cement is pretty good or a good contact cement that's used for laminate (Formica) applications and stay away from Elmer's contact cement. Placing weight on both sides of the rim is done while balancing and it all depends on the type of the machine they have, better ones will tell you what side of the rim the weight should be placed on but if not, try placing them as close to the center as you can.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Astor123 This was my first tire change. The tires were just to old; 6 years. I just purchased the bike last Oct 2009. This morning I checked the weights and they were some on both sides. The rear valve stem feels lose compared to the new front one. The rear tire was already installed when I learned of the problem with the front valve stem. I've had this kind of problem before; I know that I should have insisted that the rear tire be removed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The least expensive way is to take the wheels off yourself and this way you get to know your ride a little better. I rather have my handle bars fall off then have a flat doing 80+.

The older stem will be loser then a brand new one and the front ones can fail before the rear since they get weathered more but I would not take the chance. Look at it this way, if you take the wheel off yourself at least you can get to all those areas that have not been cleaned in years and no shop will do that for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts