Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have an '85 GL1200A that I need to replace the tires on (sufferred a low speed blow out on the rear). I have been looking at tires until i am blue in the face. The question I have is, what tire will handle the "rain grooves" and "cold joints" between lanes the best. I have been looking at the Avon AM42 and AM41 Venom tires. A co-worker swears by the Avon brand and has stated that they handle very well. Any suggestions? Typically I am using the 'wing to commute to work and pleasure riding...mostly solo.

Thanks for the input.:)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome sporta. Check the threads in this forum for more info on tires. Personally, I like the Dunlop E3's (bias ply).
Good luck,
Strat

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Hi there sporta. I went through lots of tyres on my 1200I, although mostly rears since we pulled a trailer most of the time and were loaded for bear constantly. For the best wear life I liked the Bridgestones over the Dunlops, but what I really liked were Pirellis for handlig tar strips and rain. Didn't wear as well due to the stickier compound but sure handled nice (don't think they're around anymore).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome sporta. Check the threads in this forum for more info on tires. Personally, I like the Dunlop E3's (bias ply).
Good luck,
Strat
Got new E3's on now. We also pull a trailer loaded to the hilt with nothing but the neccesitites:rolleyes:and the saddlebags and the trunk....I would use bridgestones also. GOOD TIRE

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have E3's on mine now and like the handling alot. Nothing does well on tar snakes besides a deep breath. I have 9,000 on my e3's I just put on June 26th and they still look new. 5,500 or so miles were two up on a 14 day trip and have not a single complaint about them. They handle the road grooves very well and I do not even notice the "rain grooves" the DOT was nice enough to start putting on all the roads.

·
Super Moderator
9,867 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Where is home for you. Many times the tire you choose comes down to personal preference or recommendations from friends. Looks like you've gotten some good advice on tires, so no need for me to add my $.02.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts