Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some new Bridgestone tires off the internet...when they came in I saw the front tire was a G701 (bias ply) the back is a G704 Radial (OEM). I have run bias ply on my VTX1300 and had no prob....but I know this is a little heavier. Has anyone run this tire on an 1800 before? There's no problem with it...is there?

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Don't know for sure, but I believe the 1800's were designed and came with radial tires. Not sure I would mix radial and bias tires...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What is the consequence for mixing bais ply with radial? Is it safety or mechanical? I had a bais on the front and a radial on the rear for 30,000 miles on my VTX. I know the VTX was about 650 pounds and the Wing is about 900 pounds. I would get about 12,000 out of a set. I never saw or felt a problem with it then...but I know they are very different bikes.
I have also seen on different sites where they are calling for the G701 as an OEM replacement for 1200, 1500, and the 1800.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
All tire, m/c, or auto manufacturers will say not to mix radial and bias ply tires for safety reasons. Just what the mechanical repercusions would be I don't really know. I'd swap the 701 for a 709 radial.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
As Budoka said, you should not mix radial & bias tires. You should have gotten the 709...they shipped the wrong tire.

Here's one reason why,

The difference between radial- and bias-ply tires lays in the way the belt layers are set within the molds when the tires are cast. Radial tires have the primary belts set at approx. 90 degrees to the direction of rotation. When a load is put on the tire, the belts channel the deflection forces more or less directly from the contact point, through the sidewall, to the rim. This results in a contact patch which is relatively supple and can change shape readily to maintain optimum traction.

Bias-ply tires, on the other hand, have the primary belts layered at an angle to the direction of rotation. This results in a stiffer carcass form which retains it's shape better, but any deflection forces are channeled through the belting in such a way that it results in minor deflection of the carcass at points away from the contact patch.

Radial tires provide greatly improved traction and ride when compared to Bias-ply. I would expect if they were mixed, the difference would become apparent as speeds increased. As loads increase on the tires, the radial tire would maintain fairly consistent grip, while the bias-ply would start to feel increasingly "greasy", losing traction in a gradual manner which would make handling unpredictable as speeds varied.

Short answer: bad idea.

Mark

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I was looking for....thank ya. Well, in short...this sucks for me. I have always heard of it but really never knew why.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I thought it was a bad idea to mix if you had one of each on the same axle. This can't happen on a 2-wheel motorcycle. I have a bias (Battleaxe) up front and a car tire radial in the rear. Just got back from a 1800 mile trip over the weekend and love my tire setup.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have put the mixed set on. Went for a test ride and everything went great. It stuck the curves no shake, no wobble, everything so far is good. I will keep posting as the miles rack up...so far only 20.:icon14:

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Bias ? Some of us run car tires on the rear and even some ride car tires on the rear and bias-ply on the front. Only those who refuse to try either /or are bias. I'd be interested to know your " serviceable ' miles on that front tire.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll let you know. I will post on this tread during its life (so far 20 miles) and I will also post the trouble (if there is any) and the good about the mix.

I have had all kinds of opinions like: I don't know(s), Don't see a problem, Never do it, don't matter, because honda said so, weight...ect. I am with the "will see(s)"....:popcrn:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Bias ? Some of us run car tires on the rear and even some ride car tires on the rear and bias-ply on the front. Only those who refuse to try either /or are bias. I'd be interested to know your " serviceable ' miles on that front tire.
I just took off the C/T radial on the rear. Had over 28K. Could have easily done 30K. My bias BT-45 on the front has close to 17K. Looks like it has 10-12K more left. I love the ride. Had a little buzzing in handlebars at 25mph but 90% went away when I put new fork springs in. I love the ride whether at 25mph or 125mph.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just took off the C/T radial on the rear. Had over 28K. Could have easily done 30K. My bias BT-45 on the front has close to 17K. Looks like it has 10-12K more left. I love the ride. Had a little buzzing in handlebars at 25mph but 90% went away when I put new fork springs in. I love the ride whether at 25mph or 125mph.
Where did you get the BT45 and which direction did you have it turning? What C/T?
My E-3 is about done and looking to go that way.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Where did you get the BT45 and which direction did you have it turning? What C/T?
My E-3 is about done and looking to go that way.
I got it from local Honda dealer. I think I had about $140 or so in it after they mounted and balanced it. Oh Yeah almost forgot. I run it in normal direction. I do NOT reverse it. I believe that reversing it would affect the water sheding ability. It is my understanding that in the past when plys of a tire were manually joined you had to reverse direction when putting a rear on the front or risk having the tire come apart because of overlapping where the plys are joined. That is not the case with new tech. and the way tires are made today.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I checked with both of the local dealers neither one carried the BT45, when I mentioned putting it on the front they said they only do that with trikes. I will keep checking other places.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I'll be ready for a new front by next year. I will seriously consider it.The Stone's G709 I'm currently running I like the best I've had to date.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here's a 500 mile report...so far so good, No shaking or weird handling.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Alloy wheel
Rear Radial

Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim
Front Bias

Tire Maroon Automotive tire Footwear Shoe
Front Bias

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far mine are doing great. I will be posting more pics on the tire wear. I had to put the mixed pair on due to the time that had passed on the purchase. I had a lot of people with mixed feelings on the pair...but, I thought of all the trikes that do this and I do know that you are not to mix on the same axle. What really made me do it is Harley just came out with a bike with a mix. :dunno:..we'll see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was in the tire business for 20 some years. My thought is that Honda paid an engineer a lot of money to design the suspension and pick the tires for your wing. I figure they know more than I do so I follow their advise
"JUST SAYING"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's 2,500 miles so far. The bike has no problem in handling and absolutely no shake or wobble. The tires seem to be wearing normal and as I said the handling is outstanding. We just got back from Bikes, Blues, and BBQ (Fayetteville, AR). During the rally we rode over to Eureka Springs, AR (From Rogers via Highway 62) and had zero "0" problems in the curves.

Tire Automotive tire Bumper Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Rim Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Alloy wheel

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Tread Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
By the looks of the back tire, it looks like you never get in a good lean at all? Mostly highway miles or do you hit many twisties?

The front still looks new!! That's pretty cool. After 2500 miles on any front tire I've run you can see some wear.

Mark

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.