Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed the front wheel from my 2010 Goldwing and took only the wheel and tire to the local Honda dealer to get a new Bridgestone G709 tire mounted and balanced. I didn't ask for a price first and was a little surprised when I picked up the new installation and the bill was $211. I'm new to the Goldwing world and would like to hear from some other folks. This sounds a bit high for a new tire and 15 minutes labor.

Thanks,

Oldtoot

·
Registered
515 Posts
I can't say, usually take mine to the dealer for tire installs. My dealer has a flat rate for wheel removal, tire installation/balance and re-installing the tire. Others will be along to provide feedback.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Here in suburban Washington D.C. area I brought my bike into Manassas Honda . Bridgestone 709 front cost 147.99 Va. Tire Tax. $1.00. Valve Stem $12.13 Hold, Rim Valve $4.15 (??????? ) Labor $52.50 Supplies $2.63 ( ??????? ) Sub Total $220.40 Sales Tax $8.35 Final Total $ 228.75

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the response. My entry had a typo and the actual price was $221 instead of $211 and my location is central Texas.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Appreciate the response. My entry had a typo and the actual price was $221 instead of $211 and my location is central Texas.
Still, you brought just your rim in, right ? I brought my whole bike in for about the same price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir. It was a rainy day and I wanted to get the tire changed but did not want to ride in the rain so I removed the front wheel and took just the wheel to have the tire changed and balanced.

·
Registered
470 Posts
About a yr ago I took my 1200's front rim in and had them install a new tire..(purchased there) I "think" the total was $187...including the tire, new valve & balancing. The tire was $138, so I guess they only charged me a half hr labor.

Since you did a lot of the labor..I think you may have paid too much,but really you should have asked first.
Maybe checked around at other shops to get an idea..you could still check around & if they were way over then you could ask them to have a look at the price to see if a "mistake" was made on the charge. It wouldn't hurt,then you would know better next time who not to deal with if they don't make at least a partial refund.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I recently removed the front wheel from my 2010 Goldwing and took only the wheel and tire to the local Honda dealer to get a new Bridgestone G709 tire mounted and balanced. I didn't ask for a price first and was a little surprised when I picked up the new installation and the bill was $211. I'm new to the Goldwing world and would like to hear from some other folks. This sounds a bit high for a new tire and 15 minutes labor.

Thanks,

Oldtoot
Thats about right for this area of Texas. But if that is what you plan on doing from now on, the best place to take the tires are to Cycle Gear. If you buy tires from them, bring in the rims, they will mount and balance for free. PLUS. You can purchase a "Road Hazard" guarantee for about $20. Have yet to find a dealer who has or offers a Road Hazard guarantee. My son got new tires, drove about 10 miles, hit a board and punctured the sidewall. Got it back to Cycle Gear and they replaced it free of charge. The Road Hazard guarantee is worth it. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Sorry to say, but that's about right. You can save $$ if you buy the tire on the Web, but your dealer may not like mounting a tire they did not sell. Unless you have the equipment or a friend in the business they have us by ...... well you know what I mean...

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have not had to change tires yet, so this is just theory. My thinking is take the wheel down to a shop and dismount the tire. Remount the tire myself and install Dynobeads. My local dealer has equal prices to what I see online so not sure how much I would save by doing this.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I found this Shinko SR733F as a viable replacement 130/70-18 63H at Motorcycle Superstore.....$77.00 shipped to my door.

It cost me $30 to have it mounted and balanced. I now have 1,500 miles on it and it as reliable as any other tire I have ever used.

I will report back on this tire when I get home, after another 4,500 miles.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Same thing for me is about $150. With tax dealer charged about $128 for the 709 and about $22 for mounting and balancing.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Does your 2010 have the TPMS? If so, it should be reset (and that needs to be done with the wheel on the bike).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts