Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talkin' with the folks last night. My dad has a wing, and I just cruise around here picking up little bits of info and asking random questions that have probably already been answered. :p

Anyway, he tells me how they went to go to breakfast Sunday morning, but had a little issue with the bike. He said they rode from home to their friends house, about 20 miles, with no issues. But when they left their friends house, he noticed the front of the bike... well... "just felt funny", to use his words.

He said it was a little difficult to figure out at first, because I guess the one street is quite rough. But when they got out onto the main highway, where the pavement was smooth, he could feel a definate thumping coming from the front of the bike. He said he still had control, but didn't want to just ignore it, thankfully.

He pulls over into a nearby gas station, and dismounts. They put the bike on the stand, and when he inspects the front tire, finds a 3-4" bulge in the middle of the tread! :eek: Somehow, even though she has a camera on her at all times, my mom never got a picture. But she also said it was about the size of a fist.

He limped the bike back to his friends house (maybe a 1/2 mile away), where he parked it, and had them take he and my mom home, after breakfast of course.

I asked him about the tires, and he said this is probably the 3rd riding season that they've been on the bike. They're Shinko's, but I don't know what model. He put them on after his last incident, when he ran over a dead skunk, and had one of it's ribs puncture his rear tire. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd heard stories about this, but never actually knew anyone who had experienced it. Is this a common problem? I know some people say Shinkos are cheap tires, but I'd like to think that they're not that cheap. And can anyone suggest a decent tire for my dad? He knows what everyone in his small group rides, but I told him I'd look for a few other suggestions on the internetz. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, mom just sent me this pic.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Shinko's are junk, take it back to where he got it and have them warranty it, then use the credit to get a real Gold Wing tire, Bridge stone G709 front and 704 rear. There are many stories on Gold Wing sites about stinko tires coming apart. Bridge stones are first choice, second choice would br Dunlop E3

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I guess I should clarify my prior post
In My Humble Opinion, they are junk, others might disagree.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tire conundrum

I wish I had known about Joe's preference for Bridgestones a week ago when I ordered an E3 rear tire. I guess I'll just go with the E's for now until next time. I thought the E's were the best. Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
I guess I should clarify my prior post
In My Humble Opinion, they are junk, others might disagree.
i agree with ya joe. shinko bought yuckohama ( yokohama )tires ( junk tires too ). get some decent tires if not darn good tires and stay out of the bargin cave when it comes to tires. one question though, when did bridgestone start making good tires? i am old enough to remember when bridgestone tires were the first thing you changed on your bike regardless to how new the tires were

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shinko's are junk, take it back to where he got it and have them warranty it, then use the credit to get a real Gold Wing tire, Bridge stone G709 front and 704 rear. There are many stories on Gold Wing sites about stinko tires coming apart. Bridge stones are first choice, second choice would br Dunlop E3
Oh, now Joe...

:D

Like I said, the tires are 3 seasons old, so I doubt they're under warranty. He's gotten enough good miles out of them, that he's not concerned about losing money on it.

Mostly, I just wanted to make people aware of the problem, and find out if others have had a similar experience.

I'll relay the Bridgestone tires on to my dad. They may be some of the ones already suggested to him, but I can't remember.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Commander K, the Dunlop E3's are good tires also, the only problem I had with them and many others have also is that when they get about 5 or 6,000 miles on them they sing in the corners, they are pretty much quiet on the straight but once you hit the twisties they will howl.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would also recomend Avons, I have them on my 1800 Wing and am very pleased with the handling. I don't know how long they will last, but they sure ride nice..

Gary

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
And all this time I thought it was me howling going thru the twisites!:D Actually, my '09 is shod with Dunlop D250's front and rear
(130/70R18 fr, 180/60R16 rr) OEM equipment. They seem great thus far, no visible (premature) wear or cupping, but I only haf 5000 miles on them. Not sure whether my speedo is immune since it's an '09 Cdn model, and haven't heard anything from any of the 1800 owners in the area.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I get howling on curves with my stock Dunlops (D250/D250F). It started at about the same mileage Joe stated above. At first, I thought perhaps a wheel bearing was failing but soon attributed it to the tires and the curves.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My stock dun-floppy rear developed a bulge on the right sidewall just last month. The dealership said mine made the 2nd rear, along with 2 fronts that they had seen develop a bulge. Even though I had 7,000 miles or so on the tire, it was warrentied with a new E-3 at no charge.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Is it me or is that tire worn to the core? If it is worn to the core the best tire is the world will fail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it me or is that tire worn to the core? If it is worn to the core the best tire is the world will fail.
Nope. Dad says he's only got maybe 5,000 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts

I believe what you're seeing are the cords showing through the separated rubber.
As far as I'm concerned the Dunlops are one of the best. I have one on one of my bikes that the previous owner wore completely bald and had no defects. (No, I don't intend to ride it that way!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts