Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to sound stupid,....... I am confused...... the manual says 36lb front and 42lb rear, I am seeing a lot of riders on the thread with 42 in both front and rear????
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tire PSI

I have seen a different psi for every make of tire seems like
I have dunlops on and run them both at 41psi cause I like to ride
2 up with the wife on back.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
What year is your Wing??? I run 36 in the front and 41 in the rear on my 2009

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I run 41-42 in my '09. Seems to work for me, I've got no cupping and getting real good wear out of the OEM D250's.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not to sound stupid,....... I am confused...... the manual says 36lb front and 42lb rear, I am seeing a lot of riders on the thread with 42 in both front and rear????
Am I missing something?
Most tire manufacturs have a max tire pressure of 41 psi on the side walls. For Goldwings Honda recommends 36 / 41 for the ride and the load.
36 in front is softer on the bumps and front suspension, 41 rear is for the load. I personally run 38 psi front, 41 psi rear. Seems to give me the best ride and best wear. That is my personal prefrence. Tires still cup and still wear out after a while anyway. Riding styles also have an effect on wear and feel. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tire preasure

Thanks for the feed back everyone...... still a little confused.
I ride an 08 1800 with elite2 front and rear.
Since the wife now has her own bike most of my riding will be solo.
I tend to not be too aggressive until I hit some lovely twisties.
The bulk of my riding is city, 15km each way to work.
So... what does the group think of which pressure could be the best
and more important what difference will l it make to the longevity of the tires?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
12,000 kms/8000mi. Absolutey no sign of cupping and no more than 50% tread wear. That could change with next season, I've always notices that the first half life of tyres on my Wings was longer than the second. Kinda like the fuel guage shows a bigger top half LOL.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How many miles on those puppies ?
I'm curious also, how many miles on those tires?,
I have approx. 11K on my front, and 9k on the rear. Front is starting to cup and the rear has flatened out in the center and I ride twisties and aggressively. These are Avon Cobra's. They seem to be wearing at the same rate as the E3's do (I only use E3's until this change to Avon) but are much quiter and handle much better.
I'm curious about your milage.

·
Registered
741 Posts
36 front and 41 rear. I've found anything higher than 36 in the front was immediately noticeable in terms of harshness, road feel, and traction, especially when leaned over. I ride solo and two up and the front tire pressure stays the same. I never had cupping with the stock front tires or the E3's I'm currently running.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I have 08 and had to change both front and back at 12000 km. They were both cupped bad. I paid attention to pressure but not as much as with my new tires and ride 36f-42b. New tires are cupping at 4000km. Hope they last longer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Without fail, I inflate to the specs on the sidewall of the tire. Car, truck, bike, whatever. The tire manufacturer knows a bit more about their tires than the vehicle manufacturer does. Besides that if I run a lesser pressure in the front tire it will cup badly. I have had it happen on my 02 VTX retro, my 85 Aspy and my 93 SE. I don't worry about the rear too much because they are car tires. (Member # 947)

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
the tire pressure in the manual is whats recomended for the oem tires that were on the bike when new. once the tires are changed you'll have to go by whats on the sidewall or visit the manufactures website

·
Registered
60 Posts
the tire pressure in the manual is whats recomended for the oem tires that were on the bike when new. once the tires are changed you'll have to go by whats on the sidewall or visit the manufactures website
New or not the side wall will have a different pressure than the book calls for. They could put ANY tire on it and it will not change what the manufacturer puts in the book. They will cyoa every time for legal purposes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts