Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined and first time on the site. I just bought a Goldwing 1500 that has been Motor Triked. I really like the bike and it is in great shape. I have rode bikes off & on for 30 years so bikes them selves are not new to me. Trikes are and when I got it home I noticed the front tire had well over 50psi. Rear tires are like new and only had 20psi in them(235x60Rx15 radials). Bike weighs 1185 triked and my question is, did he have the extra press in the front tire for a reason? is 20psi enough press for the rear tires. On my first ride the bike seemed to ride really stiff, even with no air in the rear air bags, which I discovered later, steering was a little harder then I had expected and also had a little tire wobble at around 30( especially when slowing down) if you were lightly holding the handle bars. Guess I'll get used to the difference with some more road time. Thanks for any input on the tire pressure.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
The rear tire pressure at 20psi is normal, remember there is no weight in the rear of a trike and its light. When you purchased the trike did it come with what is called EZ Steer? You may not have it and that is why it feels hard to turn. EZ Steer is a set of raked triple trees that go from 4.5 to 5.5 degrees of rake, this lightens the steering and makes the trike easier to turn. It is also a straight axle kit and they handle differently from independent suspension kits. Check to see if the rear wheels have weights, as sometimes the installers do not send them out to be balanced. I'd say 50psi in the front is way too much and was being used by the former owner to make the trike steer easier.
Going from a bike to a trike does take a little getting used to.
I have been building trikes since 2001.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I was thinking the same thing as your reply. Tires stand up good in the back at 20psi. and tire wear is even. I'm going to lower the front tire press. to 35 and see what the difference in feel is and the affect it has on the steering. Wish I could afford to get the rake done now. I have not driven one that has been done. Thanks girl- later -:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts