Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I keep my back tire at 41 like manual says , if I don't keep it on the center stand every day in like 3 days I have to add like 2-3 lbs of air , did any of you guys notice this before ? Or I might have a slow leak

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I sometimes have to add air if my bike sits for 10 days or so. Sometimes I have it on the center stand and sometimes just on the kickstand. No rhyme or reason why. so I just always check them before a trip and do wha't necessary.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I also noticed that my pressure was slightly lower everytime I checked. However, since I got the Doran tire pressure monitor, my pressure stays the same (according to the monitor). My guess is that every time I checked the pressure, enough air escaped to lower my pressure by 1-2 psi. Now I just check the tire pressure before I ride by looking at the digital display. Otherwise, it was routine to set tire pressure before every ride.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Gordo, Like Two Wheel says mine fluctuate as well. Air in the tires are temperature affected. Rise/Fall in temps will cause pressure to fluctuate. The one way you can stop this is to take all the air out & run Nitrogen in the tires. That will not be affected by temps. I've seen where some Tire shops & I believe one of the big Convience store chains (WAWA?) are now using Nitrogen.

What I do is what Charlie does. When I'm going to ride I check the tire pressures.

P.S. Tire Management is also Key to higher mileage use of tires.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was a little concerned to lose 4 lbs in 2 days , it never happens when I put it on the center stand only when it sits while on the kick stand

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I had a $9 digital pressure gauge that I discovered was giving me inaccurate readings. Trashed it and have another $9 digital gauge that has been consistent and trustworthy so far.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
My bike consistantly lost 2-4 psi after sitting the better part of a week whenit was new. Now, it hardly loses any pressure at all. Doesn't matter whether I use a guage or go by the TPMS, it's consistant now. I think it just takes some time for the beads to seat properly on a new bike. Having said that, if your bike sits for extended periods of time, the pressure is far more likely to drop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tire Pressure

If I can add my two cents worth . . . . . . I have learned a couple of things about tire pressure from my 40 years in the trucking industry. As truck tires loose pressure, the heat level increases due to the increased friction and often results in the tire exploding causing many of the "road alligators" that grace the sides of our highways. Pressure is especially critical when using recap tires. I was told that nitrogen has larger molecules and doesn't leak thru the rubber and aluminum as fast as regular air. Yes, even the aluminum, at least on truck wheels, does leak air through its structure dropping pressure. And different tire formulas will have different air loss amounts because of the compounds used. I bought a new Toyota Tundra in 2004 that came with tires filled with nitrogen. That was my first experience with nitrogen. I was told that the tire pressure does not increase with heat the way an air filled tire does. So as the tires is run and heat is generated, the nitrogen filled tires does not build up heat as fast as air filled. Tires filled at the same pressure cold as when driving a 500 mile trip will still have the approximate same pressure which assures better treat life and safety. I've taken many summertime high speed long distance trips and when stopping for gas, I would automatically feel the tire sidewalls. With nitrogen the tires always remained about the same as ambient temperature and then I would check with a gauge and the pressure was the same as my starting cold pressure. If it works on cars and trucks, why not use that technology on motorcycles? I've often thought about changing mine over, but never got around to it. If you do change yours over, I recommend that you ask the shop to purge each tire once to remove any remaining air. Just letting all the air out and filling with nitrogen will not remove all the air but purging at least once should do the trick. If you get a slow leak during a trip and nitrogen is not available, it will not hurt anything to add air. Mixing the two should not pose any problems or concerns. But when you get a chance or when you get back home you can have it purged and re-filled with nitrogen.
Humble Harv

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Let's compare tire pressure notes. I just came back from my local Goodyear shop and we took out the valve stems to deflate the tires, re-installed the stems and filled with nitrogen. After a brisk 3 mile highway speed ride home I checked the pressure: 42 psi front; 36 psi rear.( remember I'm running a car tire ) Just where I want them to be. I'll check tomorrow morning and post my readings. P.S. Bike will sit on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rode my bike to OC Maryland (153 mile ride) thursday night , I'm leaving tomorrow morning to go back home on it , bike has been on center stand since ice been here , I'm going to check Preasure in am and I'll post what comes up

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Rear tire always loses an lb. or 2.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Checked pressure this morning at 0700. Front 37.5: Rear 31.5 . I'm thinking some of those nitrogen molecules stayed up late last night. I'll recheck this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to be a rebel today and not check mine till 7.45 am

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Here was another rebel. And we know where that got him.
Hey Lee, that looks like you from last Sunday morning..... Except for the hair.... LOL

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Someone who lost control of his vehicle reportedly due to his refusal to check his tire pressure before his ride.
i was just messing with ya i knew who he was

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
i was just messing with ya i knew who he was
Ditto! So I checked my tire pressure after a late afternoon ride today . Cold p.s.i. Front: 37; Rear : 33. Warm p.s.i.. Front: 39; Rear: 35.5. Looks like the heat increases the pressure by about 2 lbs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts