Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 9300 miles it's time for new shoes already on my 10 wing.
The front is worn and the rear is cupping badly but still has 1/2 the tread left. I am new to wings. After reading here and other sites I have decided to go with Bridgestones. My local dealer wants $75
per wheel for installation- is this in line? These wings are hard on tires. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Here in Manassas VA, I paid $321.06 for a Metzeler 880 rear. Tire was $225.99 and mounting was $62.40. taxes, valve stem, etc, made up the rest of the final cost. Front tire was $143.99 for tire , mount and balance was $43.20.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have a Cycle Gear store in your area: $20 a tire if you buy from them, $30 if you bring in your own. That's mounted and balanced on a carried in wheel. They won't lay a hand on your bike.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Seems prices varies with your location, Most places in Calif charge about $125 to $150.00 to mount and balance both wheels if you ride the bike in. Most will do it for $25.00 a wheel if you bring the wheels in yourself. The back is easy to take off and you can save money by taking that in yourself and then riding the bike in to get the front done, where are you located? Sometimes you will find a shop that is having a sale and get a deal on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input Joe. I am in Bend, OR., not a lot of options for dealers here but thought I would also check some Indy's. What started this whole thing was the parts guy at the dealer says they have "the lowest prices in the world on tires." lol
After checking online -they don't ! I figured OK if they had decent prices on the tires
the $75 ea for mounting was probably reasonable.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ask around. I just put on new E3's and was charged 80.00 for front and back. Total mount/balance/valve stem. That was him taking them off. I did remove the side bags and tag/lower fender area. It took about 40 mins. to remove all the parts - I had to rebuild the rear caliper and instal new pads anyway. That was a good deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tires on 1800 Wing

Check around! In my area the local dealer quoted me $800.00 for both front and rear ties mounted balanced etc. I questioned cost of course and dealer informed me that to change the tires on this particular bike would be 4 to 5 hours in labor:eek:.

I found an independant mechanic that had never changed the tires on an 1800 that changed both tires, which I purchased from him for the grand total of $360.00 including labor and all taxes. He gave me a great price on a set of E3 Dunlops that he had ordered for a guy that were never picked up. I took the bike in expecting to be at least a couple of hour job and he completed both front and rear by himself in about an hour. I was back on the road after paying my bill in 1 hour 20 minutes :D.

Check around there are good independant mechanics out there that want to make a living and not gouge the customer. I paid the real labor on the change and the mechanic has a satified customer, which I have returned and spent more $$ with. You can be fair and make money too. As for my local Honda dealer every purchase that I make with them, I question price now and do my research on item before I ask.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I brought in my 1200 to my independent wrench, I had the 2 tires in hand. He charged $130 for labor, this was his first time doing a wing tire install and he only charged me for the time he thought it should take not actual time he spent. He rebuilds Enfield Motorcycles, at the time I thought 130 was high but I trust him which is paramount when letting anyone but myself touch my bike!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my first Goldwing, (2008 model) it is used with with 8,000 miles on it. I am wondering how many miles I can expect to get out of the tires before I have to replace them. I am a senior driver (63 years) and do not drive agressively. Thanks for any info. Peter

·
Registered
11 Posts
At 9300 miles it's time for new shoes already on my 10 wing.
The front is worn and the rear is cupping badly but still has 1/2 the tread left. I am new to wings. After reading here and other sites I have decided to go with Bridgestones. My local dealer wants $75
per wheel for installation- is this in line? These wings are hard on tires. Thanks for any feedback.
Since you are just asking about the installation cost .... it sounds about what i pay give or take 5 bucks here and there...they have ya over a barrel with all this and they know it... You can figure .. you are are going to ruin a good 500 bill puttin new rubber on these things...maybe more maybe less ...depends on your taste... And i agree with you ...these babies are hard on tires. I posted some comments about my tires on here a few weeks ago ...and some wise guys reply was ...tires wear out ... I know he had help wtih that ... He couldnt have come up with that one all alone. Good luck.... and congrats on your bike...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got my first Goldwing, (2008 model) it is used with with 8,000 miles on it. I am wondering how many miles I can expect to get out of the tires before I have to replace them. I am a senior driver (63 years) and do not drive agressively. Thanks for any info. Peter
Really depends on the way your ride and the way you load your bike...things like that ...I have gotten 15K on a set of tires ... and sometime you need a set at 11 or 12K ...... I am 62 yrs young and ride a lot, i dont baby it but i dont abuse it either... So if I were you I would really start paying attention around 12K. I check my tire pressure on a weekly basis...all year. Run 40 in the rear and 38 in the front... good luck....

·
Registered
141 Posts
OK junior, (I have several years on you) my 08 Wing has 10K on it with the origional Dunlop tires. Bought the bike used last Sept with 4k on it. They have good tread, but the front is cupped, and I see age cracks between the beads, so they have aged out before they wore out. I have a new set of Stones and beads waiting for me at the nearby bike shop, just need some riding weather to get there. Enjoy your Wing!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Haven't really concerned myself with installation prices, when I price compare new tires, I am just concerned with one number, how much are they put on and balanced. I don't care how they figure it, they can give or take on either the tire or the labor, my concern is just the number at the bottom of the ticket.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
It seem like 10,000 miles, give or take , is nearing the threshold for deciding on new tires for most of us. I have about 7,000 on my rear Metzeler 880's to date and riding season has just started for me. About June I'll be looking for a new rear at least. I am not authorized to divulge the type of tire I will be putting on, but when the deed is done I will certainly share my initial impressions and come 10,000 miles later share my thoughts on it to date.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've got a ways to go the last of the Michelin Pilots are on mine front and rear. Sure will miss'em when their gone too. I check pressures weekly and keep 42 f and 45 r so they should be there for a while. Two of my friends went through the premature wear and cupping issues way before I got my wing and narrowed it down to pressure. Anyway we do our own tires and have them balanced. Don't know whats going on next since I won't be able to get more Pilots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I brought my wheels into Honda of Houston and they charged me $60.00 to mount 2 tires. They said it would be $110.00 if they took the wheels off and mounted them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts