Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Getting to the air filter is the big labor expense. Actually that dealership is optimistic about taking four hours to do all of those items. Changing the tires, spark plugs, and oil takes me at least two hours, of course I am not a "trained" mechanic. To get to the air cleaner a mechanic must remove the seat, side covers, inner cowl, rear view mirrors, middle cowls (basically the colored plastic fairing), top shelter, center panel switch, and finally the center pocket. The air box cover is simply held in place with seven screws, easy enough. Then the mechanic has to put all of the stuff above back on and there are lots of fasteners that are of certain length that must go in their unique spot. It is daunting to do. There is also the risk that an inexperienced Goldwing mechanic will break something while disassembling and reassembling. Lots of tabs and clips that insert into grommets that require force but not too much.

My recommendation about the air cleaner, don't replace it at 16,000 miles especially since you live in the pretty dust free environment of North Carolina. At 30K I would find a dealer with a flexible borescope that can snake its way down to the air filter then take a look to see how dirty it is. It is the kind of item that should be replaced based on its condition and not on mileage.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts