Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'01 GL1800 - put on new tires, had a senior moment, forgot to balance the front wheel. Test ride revealed minor vibration (SURPRISE!) and low-speed decel headshake common on the GL1500 but never before a problem on the GL1800. I removed and balanced the wheel, which required a BIG hunk of lead, reinstalled and the test ride revealed...ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE! Vibration is the same, low speed decel head shake is the same. Hard to imagine that much balance weight made no difference. What am I missing? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here's a couple of things to check: The tire rotation arrows must be in the right direction,you likely knew that. There is a marking on my back tire which is a valve location marker. It says for use of a tubeless tire on a tube type rim.This marking is suppose to be next to the valve stem. On a front tire there's often a similar marker or red dot.
I was'nt aware of the positioning of the valve stem until my MC mechanic said his apprentice had put my new tire on wrong and had him take it off and remount it properly.
He's had several MC's come in with a vibration or head shake after new tires were installed because of the same mistake.Many standard tire shops don't know about the tire being positioned correctly on the rim.They know about rotation but not where the valve stem goes or what the markings are for. Hope this helps

-Robert-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts