Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a question about the timing marks on the cam pully's on my 80 1100. The left side has a single raised mark. But the right has a raised mark and a larger indented mark 2 teeth from the raised 1. I'm assuming the raised is the correct 1 to use as it lines up with the left side 180 deg. Opposed. But I'm not going to assume anything. If that is the case,what does the other mark indicate? I just went thru the heads so starting from scratch on the timimg The claymore manual does not address this. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Crankset Spoke

Just a google picture showing a 1981 1100 wing right timing mark. Proper installation. It might be from goldwingdocs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent!! Looks like I was correct. Thanx for the pic! I still would love to know what the other mark for that side is for.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The cam pulleys are interchangeable from one side to another. That's why there are 2 sets of marks. Keeps parts a bit more simple.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent!! Looks like I was correct. Thanx for the pic! I still would love to know what the other mark for that side is for.
Correct. However the raised marks are redondint. But the indented marks are only on the right side pully faces. Whatever they are for they are for right side installation only. Possibly some kind advance. Each tooth on the pully represents 9 deg. The spacing between the 2 makes is 2 teeth. 19deg. So that seems unlikely. I'm just very curious what its purpose is. Again thank you for the pic. Now a can finish up knowing I have it right. 19deg is no joke! I didn't want to trash a valve wile testing compression 😡

·
Registered
36 Posts
Take a closer look on the inside of the sprocket and you should see an arrow which aligns with the notch on the outside... I just replaced belts and tensioners on my GL 1000 '79 and the parts are the same.
I had to get my younger son to hold the wrench to prevent the crank from moving when installing the belts because the cams are contacting the valve when the marks are in perfect alignment tending to make the crank roll a bit..... Had to get my face down close because looking at an angle doesn't allow getting the marks line up perfectly as was quickly discovered.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
When i have built these bikes i have had to start with the alignment marks off by one tooth so when the tension was put on the built it would wind up in perfect position ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts