Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time to quit stalling and get to replacement of my '95 GL1500 timing belts. They've only got about 45,000 miles on them and would most likely be fine until 100,000+ but it's not only preventative maintenance regarding the belts but also to check how the original OEM belt tensioners and their springs are holding up at 120,000+ miles on the bike.

After peeling some plastic and removing the timing belt cover I see that things look pretty good. Blew it all out with 125psi of air and there are no leaks to be seen. The left belt seems slightly flabby but not horribly so, so now to line up the three marks after turning the crankshaft nut counterclockwise a full turn or two until they line up and then begin: Loosen the belt tensioners, remove the right belt and then remove the pulse generators. No need to inspect and decide about the belts; they look fine, but I have new ones and am putting them in anyway. Anybody who wants the old belts you can have them for the cost of shipping....:surprise:>:)

Removed the spark plugs and they looked good; tannish-grey color, they held the 0.35" gap too, so I just cleaned them up and they'll go back in, too.

Update: Belt tensioners are tip-top. Surprising after 20+ years and over 120,00 miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Job done, tools put away, hands cleaned. Cleaned the faces of the pulse generators before reinstalling as they had some grime on them. Anyway, after turning the engine by wrench a several revolutions and seeing all three marks line up fine(and not hearing any metal-on-metal sounds:surprise:) I put the clean plugs back in, attached the plug wires and spun the engine. About two revolutions later WOOM! Dropped the idle from 2,600 to 1,500rpms and it sounded great so I dropped it to choke off and it puttered and died, as it should. Timing belt covers reinstalled with Lock-Tite on the bolts, wipe down of things and that's that. I'll never have to do another timing belt job again.

Other than drain/refill the final drive with fresh gear oil, I'm ready for a cross-country trip! My plans are still fluid. After more thought, I won't be going to Wyoming this year. Two years in a row is enough. Besides, I can't take another boring ride through the Dakotas! Those I would have met at the mid-June Meet & Greet there, I hope to see at least some of you at the Oct. M&G at Ouachita State Park in Arkansas in Oct. What I've got in mind now is heading directly to Colorado via northwest Iowa, eastern Nebraska, and western Kansas and just spending 5 days cruising around northern and western Colorado followed by 5 days in Utah, pretty much all at national parks. Might should take my trailer and camp.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nice work Kevin. Thanks for taking us along. I have to admit, I don't work on too many jobs where it goes that smooth. Usually I find 'something' that is screaming: 'That doesn't look right?!'
Again, nice work.

·
Premium Member
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice work Kevin. Thanks for taking us along. I have to admit, I don't work on too many jobs where it goes that smooth. Usually I find 'something' that is screaming: 'That doesn't look right?!'
Again, nice work.

Tim, I expected to have to buy two new belt tensioners and was amazed to find them having perfectly smooth operation.

Eric, Yeah, just not worth it to me/us to wonder and hope about possible "bike killers" like timing belts. Too cheap and easy to have real peace of mind. Even more so if you're headed into the Outback!:surprise:

·
Super Moderator
11,311 Posts
Fairly easy job, isn't it, Kevin?

When I pulled the belts off the 1500, at ~43,000 miles, they looked good. When I inspected them closer one of them had one tooth that looked like it could have gone at any time.

·
Premium Member
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fairly easy job, isn't it, Kevin?

When I pulled the belts off the 1500, at ~43,000 miles, they looked good. When I inspected them closer one of them had one tooth that looked like it could have gone at any time.
Yeah, not bad at all. As with most things on 1500s and even moreso on 1800s, apparently, is a variation of the old 80/20 rule: 80% of the total time is getting plastic and other stuff out of your way and later putting it back and only 20% of the time is actual mechanical work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Starting to gather the parts to do my 94 only has 37000 on it.
Sat for a long time po did not drive it much.
I am looking at the gates t275 belts as gates makes them oem for honda. At half the price!
Looking at the parts fiche at honda parts direct to gather all the gaskets etc.
When i did my 96 st 4 years ago the idler also looked fine. Will be doing it again next year!
Have to do my 98 this year.
Going to wait until late oct. to start the wing.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Irish, I'd do the belts just on general principles given their age. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Irish, I'd do the belts just on general principles given their age. Cheap insurance.

84 GL1200 with some 41,000 miles that I bought last year. I didn't know if the belts had ever been charged so I had them changed this spring. They looked like original belts and still looked great. I feel much better having them changed though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts