Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone - what is the average cost to have these belts replaced at a shop, and how difficult is it to do it yourself

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Seems like timing belts cost about $60. for K&N belts. Add to that the cost of labor from your dealer. I'm not a wrench guy, but seems like a number of folks have tackled the job themselves with success. I'm sure someone will chime in here shortly with their response...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I'm no wrench either, but I'd bank on a couple hours labour for sure at a shop, depending on how much dismantling is involved. Lots of guys do it themselves though.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I just did it couple weeks ago. Never saw a wing until I bought this in May.
Good instructions here with pics if you look. I found them and printed them and took it out to the garage.
cost: $55 for belts from NAPA
time: about 4 hours, took my time. It is important to do it right so time isn't a factor here.

the only thing I would say is get down eye level when you mark the alignment and do it with a straight edge.

I was a little nervous the whole time but when I was done, had to say it was not hard.

My guess here is $250.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
timing belt instructions

Beers required = six

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
let's try it again

I think the file is too big.

If you want instructions with pics. send me a pm and give me your email address. It's about 2.5 mgs and guess it too much to drag and drop here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1986 Goldwing that I just had a guy change the timing belt, change the oil, anti freeze, and spark plugs all for $350.00 including parts. FBennett

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
sorry rudy i know that you post up lots of helpful tech stuff on other forums. this should stay on this forum

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks to all,this will be very helpfull in my quest to tackle this little project..

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I change the timing belts on client's trikes based on years vs. miles. No matter how well something is made, it doesn't last forever. I have a 1993 Wing and the timing belts were changed at 58,000+ miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts