Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1990 with 33800 miles. It had always been kept in a heated garage. While doing my cleanup I pulled one cover to check the belt and it had no signs of dry rot, cracks or ware. Should I be worried about the belts right away? Money is tight here at the moment so I would like to wait until next spring do change out. What do you all think? Doug

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
You should be good til next spring. I would put the belt change top of my to do list though.

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
if you don't trust your belts let me know and i'll order them for you so you can get my ford discount. i paid $52.xx for the two belts for my 1200 wing and two belts for my 1500 wing. i might have to special deliver them to you

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just did my '86 1200 last month. I used the online resources and the book. I also had two other things going for me. First, I had the forks off to rebuild the seals (plenty of room) and secondly, I'm not smart enough to have any fear when it comes to these things...:eek:

I say Gor For It!

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
NoHandles,

What I was freely given by Bamaeagle I give to you. I'm changing my belts this weekend and will have my laptop on nearby. Not only a detailed description with pictures, but a video at the bottom! He (Steve Saunders of Ireland) did it in 20 minutes of elapsed video, so I figure an hour. I don't know that I'd worry at 33K, but I'm at 57K and my bike is 5 years older, so... it's off to NAPA I go for two Gates 5043 timing belts on Friday. The piece of mind is worth it to me; I'm meeting folks in Sturgis in August and destroying my engine in western SD in summer does not sound all that fun.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1200timingbelts.htm

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Have you changed your own? I'm reading this instruction article http://www.goldwingtech.info/timingbelts/timingbelts.htm
It doesn't look that hard to me but I'm only going by the article, I've never done it myself but I do all kinds of stuff mechanically.
Yes I did.....I did not know when or if the PO had changed them. I did use that link to Rudy's article on how to do it. Followed it step by step. If you are handy with tools and have the tools then it should not be a problem. Oh BTW..the "old belts" looked good.....but I replaced them anyway. The belts do not have a date on them so you do not know how old they are.

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
my old belts had about 65,000 miles on them but the teeth looked as good as the ones on the new belts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I just changed the timing belts on my 1500 this winter, it's not a hard job to do, the hardest part of the whole thing is getting the stuff out of the way to take the cover off.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The belt change is not at all hard as long as you line up all the marks BEFORE removing the old ones. Also belts are available at O'reilly auto parts for about 12.00$. These belts are made by Gates and all that we have installed have been perfect!

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
The belt change is not at all hard as long as you line up all the marks BEFORE removing the old ones. Also belts are available at O'reilly auto parts for about 12.00$. These belts are made by Gates and all that we have installed have been perfect!
do you have the part number for the o'reilly belt

·
Registered
857 Posts
Timing belts

93 gl1500 part # is T275 Price over counter is 31.99$ requires 2. Sorry about the price difference but at my age you can not remember everything! Also you can look up all gates belts at there web site. www.gates.com Also any good parts house should be able to get these for you. The price is over counter if you have an account with your local parts house they will be a lot cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
93 gl1500 part # is T275 Price over counter is 31.99$ requires 2. Sorry about the price difference but at my age you can not remember everything! Also you can look up all gates belts at there web site. www.gates.com Also any good parts house should be able to get these for you. The price is over counter if you have an account with your local parts house they will be a lot cheaper.
$26.99 on the napa website and i get them for less than that with my ford discount

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'll find out in the next few days on belts. My 93 has 105,000 and I haven't changed them yet, we'll see what shape they are in. Nohandles, I give you a hand when you decide to change them, doesn't look too bad and I get practice on mine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll find out in the next few days on belts. My 93 has 105,000 and I haven't changed them yet, we'll see what shape they are in. Nohandles, I give you a hand when you decide to change them, doesn't look too bad and I get practice on mine.
Cool I would welcome the help but lets think about doing them both together.

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
i've got the belts. two napa 250275 belts at my ford discounted price of$ 34.81 or $16.42 each

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
Cool I would welcome the help but lets think about doing them both together.
when are you going to change the belts? i would like to ride down that wekend and see how its done. my buddy joe did mine and by the time i got off work he had the left belt on and was installing the right one so i didn't get to see any dismantling or line up of the pullys

·
Registered
193 Posts
Finally belts got ordered, should be in Monday, of course now snow flurries are in the forecast.
snow:eek: when I started down the path of looking for a Wing, I talked to two dealerships about changing the belts cost. it was about $300. if its ONLY that a dealership for wing, how hard could it be? cough cough.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts