Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the timing belts replaced on my 97 SE, Only 40,000 miles but I figured being 13 yrs old I had better replace them. Let me tell ya - You can barely tell the old one from the new one. Not a crack or thread anywhere, even the gasket looks new. I think thats pretty amazing for a 13 year old belt. I guess they are made pretty well.
I thought I would pass that along.

·
Super Moderator
9,879 Posts
I think the Honda recomendation is 80k miles or 8 years. So even though you had the years you can see that the belts would easily go 80k without any problems. Ride safe...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a few other things done at the same time - Since they were down there I had the coolant flushed & also the clutch fluid flushed & fuel filter - Total $263. They said around 3 hours for the belt, $60/hour. I bought the belts & gaskets on line at CheapCycleParts.com - $152

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
timing belts part #t275 gates, #250275 napa, #40275 goodyear

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those belts I'm getting nothing but Honda OEM. Other things maybe aftermarket - but not that.

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
just remember honda makes motorcycles the belts are out sourced from a company like gates

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
I replace the timing belts on my 1993 Aspencade last year and one was delaminating and cracked the other was fine. I kept hearing a ticking sound on the left side and when the belts were replaced the sound went away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same thing on a 81 GL 1100 w/ 42K, I changed it and found old belts look like new. Did this w/o ever hearing it run, also in the middle of doing carbs. PO seemed guarded on what really was the deal on the bike, why did it sit for years, totally immaculate in a dry garage. Maybe it will turn out to be a parts bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Changed my belts 2 months ago on my 82 Wing .. I had ordered them from SaberCycle, and got both belts for the price of one at Napa .. I noticed they were inventory numbered and my belts were like 551 and 552 .. The belts say meets or exceeds OEM belt .. Usually when things say this, They MUST be good .. Anyhow If I were to buy belts today I would buy Gates , But I had already ordered mine before I read the posts about this .. If they sold 500 of these belts and nobody has posted a problem yet , The belts are more than likely as good as all the others .. Or you would have heard about it... Ohh Ya .. I put on over 5000 miles on the new belt since June .. Lots of riding :) Luv my WING

1 - 10 of 10 Posts