Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. Are there any gaskets under the cover? Is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? I'm planning on new radiator hoses. The bike (86) runs like a champ - it is my daily transportation and my fun machine too. I don't know of anything that is broken - but at 61k miles - what should I look for while the radiator is out?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Definitely inspect all the rubber hoses and look for signs of leaks, stains around gaskets etc. Also check for wiring that looks scorched or discoloured.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Belts

Like the title says. Are there any gaskets under the cover? Is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? I'm planning on new radiator hoses. The bike (86) runs like a champ - it is my daily transportation and my fun machine too. I don't know of anything that is broken - but at 61k miles - what should I look for while the radiator is out?
G,Day mate while you have your cover off it,s good to replave ALL rubber belts hoses as i had a 1100 aspencade it went like a cut cat with my new plugs i put SPITFIRE they made a Big change to the bike better fuel eccon faster take off just make sure you get the timing belts right as i just had them changed on my 1500 this year prevention is better then cure , best of luck i hope this help,s you out a bit from down under .:eek::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I don't have a 1200 but I looked at the OEM section here......http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/cyclemax/Honda_OEM/HondaMC.asp?Type=13&A=47&B=5

And it shows a gasket on each side of the timing belt covers. Now if it is like my 1500 you can reuse the gasket that is there as it only keeps dust and dirt out as long as it is not damaged.

Like it has been said while you are in there check everything out to make sure nothing is loose or damaged.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
While at it if you haven't checked the connections at the Stator do that as well. That is a weak link on the 1200's & some TLC can go a long way.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on doing the hoses and check other items. I get the idea that the gasket will be reused. But how/where do I check the stator wiring.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
86 here is a procedure taken from another website. If you do a google search on the topic you will have days of reading ahead of you. There is even a conversion to a car alternator called a "PoorBoy conversion". The consesus is if you hardwire the connections your troubles should be minimum. The 1200 stators were that Goldwings weak spot. Not insurmountable though.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/GL1200Statortest.htm

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I soldered the three yellows near the battery last year. I put the battery in about 15 months/10k miles ago and have not looked at it again. No charger/tender or nothing....Is that what you were refering to?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts