1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
if you don't know the age of the belts its time to change them

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
General rule is 60,000 miles, but they aren't expensive compared to a complete engine ruined by a broken belt. Also as, detdrbuzzard stated, if unknown, change them. An old belt will harden and break.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Honda doesn't list a recommendation for miles or age in the service manual, only the removal/change procedure. 60k is plenty I'd say, and certainly not more than 8 years. Just removing the covers can tell you lots about the condition of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

for the info . i think the info i get here is always good .
gonna go ahead and get the "OLD WING".
been lookin at a couple here in oregon , 1982s thru 85s , 22k to 75k . should be pickin one up in just a couple weeks ! ! !

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
you can get the timing belts at napa auto parts store

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently purchased a '99 with 110,000 miles on it. The timing belts had never been changed, and I was asking the same question that you did. I think the previous posts have answered your question. I just finished replacing the belts on my bike and I am now experiencing greater peace of mind. I've had some bad experiences with broken timing belts on cars in the past, and I've learned my lesson. Don't neglect this preventative measure. The consequences can be much more expensive.

Good luck,
Rick

·
Registered
53 Posts
i just got my wing a couple weeks ago, and my wife got it kinda cheap because the last owner broke the right side belt and it bent the valves, its fixed now but the bike has 42,000 miles but it is a 77

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
The best rule for timing belts or anything else when it doubt.
When in doubt, change them out.
It's inexpensive compared to the cost of what may happen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would not put it off change the belts i know from a bad experance one broke and it caused the other belt to brake bent every valve in bothe heads lucky to find heads in junk yard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts