Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cannot find the inspection cover for the flywheel t-1 mark on this 86 aspencade SEI, so much stuff in the way, need a general location to start looking. Changed belts on a 76 1000 several years ago and had no problem, so i lined up the cam pulleys to the mark and changed belts with out moving anything but just want to check out the location to be sure. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have an '87 Aspencade, can't see there would be any difference in the location on yours; It's toward the back on top of the engine..sorta in the center, it has a screw on cap. It is difficult to see the timing marks, I have the "site window tool" that screws in place of the cap to make it easier to read..it has cross hairs on it. BTW, the slot in the cap has a shape like you would use a coin to unscrew it....nothing else in that area so you should be able to locate it easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...I was changing timing belts in July when i wrote that. I have an 86 SEI with all the extra stuff and there is no way to get to the "cap" to remove it and look with out taking off the false tank and all the extra, so I lined up the timing marks on the cams and carefully changed belts without moving anything, it worked, put some miles on it the rest of the summer.

Thanks for the reply. jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
T1mark

I have an '87 Aspencade, can't see there would be any difference in the location on yours; It's toward the back on top of the engine..sorta in the center, it has a screw on cap. It is difficult to see the timing marks, I have the "site window tool" that screws in place of the cap to make it easier to read..it has cross hairs on it. BTW, the slot in the cap has a shape like you would use a coin to unscrew it....nothing else in that area so you should be able to locate it easily.
where did you get the site window tool?
thanks ron

·
Registered
470 Posts
Honda dealer, I "think" it was $26..but the odd one comes up on ebay from time`time.:)
BTW, I haven't used it yet..long story,but, some posts have said it gets covered w/oil and you can't really see the cross hairs very well. A few guys said if you take out 1 quart/litre of oil till you're done it's much easier to see the timing marks as it won't splash up on the site glass.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The cams on the this bike are kinda odd to time, the location of that TDC viewing port are hard to tell when its on and when its slightly off. I did the belts on dual overhead cam motors that were easier than my goldwing. That glass may help some in this area, when I needed one they were none to be found.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts