Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who has a 83 Goldwing with the 1100 motor. We are assuming that the timing belts have never been replaced. What I've heard so far is that these are interference engines. I need to know since the bike is well over 20 years old, how many years should these belts remain. Also are there any special tools involved in the procedure. Is the water pump on the same drive?

I have replace quite a few belts on automobiles and am professionally trained.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Dan

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a buddy who has a 83 Goldwing with the 1100 motor. We are assuming that the timing belts have never been replaced. What I've heard so far is that these are interference engines. I need to know since the bike is well over 20 years old, how many years should these belts remain. Also are there any special tools involved in the procedure. Is the water pump on the same drive?

I have replace quite a few belts on automobiles and am professionally trained.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Dan
When in doubt...throw them OUT! It's VERY cheap piece of mind to know for sure they are good..just change em!:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
When in doubt...throw them OUT! It's VERY cheap piece of mind to know for sure they are good..just change em!:D
and change them with napa auto parts bets #250274 and save some $$$

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anything special to know when changing the timing belts? That is, should I rotate the engine so it is TDC? Or, being careful to not move the cams sufficient?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Set engine to TDC before removing belts! Simple task for a GOOD tech! Belts can be purchased thru Auto Zone, O'Reilly's or Napa as gates makes them. Last ones we got were 11.00$ each at O'Reilly's. Be sure to check tensioner bearings for noise because these are INTERFERENCE engines! No special tools needed unless you actually have a belt tension gauge. But can be set as you would a car.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Make sure to hold the cams when you have the belt off as the can jump and do the same thing as blowing a belt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for your help. Both belts were replaced without incident. My biggest problem was getting to the inside cover bolts. Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I changed the timing belts, I removed the lower housing so the radiator could be moved forward a bit. There is an odd sound that seems to be coming from the front of the engine. Is it possible that the water pump has gone bad and is making the sound? I can hear it when the bike is idling, not when I'm going down the road? If it is the water pump, any suggestions on where to pick one up for my 81 GL1100i?

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
When I changed the timing belts, I removed the lower housing so the radiator could be moved forward a bit. There is an odd sound that seems to be coming from the front of the engine. Is it possible that the water pump has gone bad and is making the sound? I can hear it when the bike is idling, not when I'm going down the road? If it is the water pump, any suggestions on where to pick one up for my 81 GL1100i?
My first suspicion would be a belt idler that has a bad bearing, or two, or three. You can run the bike just fine without the belt covers on and the radiator "hanging" on it's hoses. It will help you localize the sound.

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
In the "Engine Work" forum there is a "sticky" posted near the top with salvage yards for parts. Trike Lady created it for us all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts