Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I'm ready to attempt changing my timing belts (1996 goldwing se) and have a question for you all. If I leave the spark plugs in so that there is compression and supposedly nothing will move, can I just loosen the tensioners and swap out the belts instead of going through all the motions in my shop manual? This seems like it would work if the camshaft doesn't move and everything is the same when I put the new belts on as it was when I took the old ones off. Help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
leaving the plugs in for compression will NOT prevent cam rotation. Putting the bike in gear will also not prevent cam rotation. I do not know the proceedure on your bike, but if I had nothing to go on, and had to do the job, I would put the engine at TDC with #1 on the overlap, (exhaust closing and intake opening), at this point the marks should all be lined up, then when you take the belts off one at a time, you can observe that there is no movement, and if there is slight movement, you can put it back right before installing the new belt. Also, when you loosen the tentioner, you can tell if there is any movemnent. If it does not rotate to take up the slack, you can put a wrench on the cam and give a SLIGHT turn in the opposite direction to see if it wants to move that way. Be careful, I do think these are interference motors, meaning the valves and pistons will make contact!
Tom

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
... Howdy ... I Would Put It In Gear To Help Keep The Engine Locked Up ... Happy Trails ...
the engine would be locked up until the belt is removed, once the belt is removed then the cam is free (from the crank ) to rotate. and yes tom all wing motors are interference motors

·
Registered
263 Posts
Did mine myself on my '94 SE,left plugs in,encountered no problem.No different than doing them on an car engine. Make sure to slowly rotate engine through 2 complete revolutions once new belts on to ensure all still lines up.
if so,then you are good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
two things

Alrighty! My timing belts are done! (Darn, I,m proud of myself! :) Just two tips if you are going to do your own. #1 give yourself plenty of time - don't rush it. #2 line up those timing marks! The pullys can move really easy while you are doing this whole project and without the marks to reset things by, you could be really screwed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts