Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do want to replace timing belt, just to give me a piece of mind.
They are all over the net. All different prices.

Went on Amazon, they have the Gates T 275 belts for 16.92 each.
That looks like a great price compared to what I've seen some go for.
My question is, do you think these will be ok, for the price, and not some sort of seconds.... They list them as Gates : GATES IS GATES, am I correct on this.
http://www.amazon.com/Gates-T275-Timing-Belt/dp/B000CRDMS8

.... and free shipping.

Also, what about the tensioners. Should I worry about them now.
Was going to just jump up and get a pair, but he//, they are 80 $
a piece on some places. I like to have passed out when I seen the prices of these things. Some folks say they should be alright, and if they start going bad, one seems to hear them going out first.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
Have you tried NAPA or any local auto parts house?
Try the numbers below locally before buying off the net.
GL1500
Gates - #T275 (2 ea.)
NAPA - #250275 (2 ea.)
Goodyear - #40275 (2 ea.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried NAPA or any local auto parts house?
Try the numbers below locally before buying off the net.
GL1500
Gates - #T275 (2 ea.)
NAPA - #250275 (2 ea.)
Goodyear - #40275 (2 ea.)
Yes, I tried the local. Our Napa here is the highest.

The Gates T275, is 30-35 dollars before taxes ...

I can get both belts for just about the price of one on Amazon.
Just worried if they are some sort of seconds for that price. They say they are Gates. They are listed as Gates.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
Yes, I tried the local. Our Napa here is the highest.

The Gates T275, is 30-35 dollars before taxes ...

I can get both belts for just about the price of one on Amazon.
Just worried if they are some sort of seconds for that price. They say they are Gates. They are listed as Gates.
Or maybe old inventory recently uncovered, dry rot?
I'm always leery of something with a small price.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
if you didn't know now you do, napa belts are made by gates. go to nappa autoparts.com and see what they are getting for their belts and stay away from barracuda brand belts

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
Our local NAPA has the belts for about $30.00 a piece.

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
Does anybody know if there are any crossover applications for the GL belts in the auto lines? Lots of cars use timing belts. Might help in knowing how long these things sit around in parts bins etc.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Took the advise. Went to NAPA !!!!

Ordered the belts. Will be in the morning at 7:00am. ( Not like I'm fixin' to jump back to the shop and throw them in at 7:35am or so.

They give me my company discount. Price: $21.33 each.

Now, what about the tensioners. ? Where are they to be found ?
Is there anywhere else other than Honda ? Who makes them for Honda ? Folks say them are really pricey....

How many here has changed the belts and NOT change the tensioners ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
We changed them on my friend's 1500 at near 100K, no tensioners necessary.

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
If you are talking about the adjuster and springs They would cost (guessing a bit at US prices) about $45 per side if it's what I think they are... adjuster: p/n 14510-MG9-008 $42.00 (?); spring p/n 14516-MN5-000 $1.60(?). Unless they show visible damage they shouldn't need replacing as 'tank mentioned, at least according to the shop manual.

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
A quick update on this. I ordered two sets from Amazon. They arrived and are new stock, with the warranty paperwork in each box. I'll be installing them in both 1500s once the weather cooperates.

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
Was that the first change on the belt at close 100K ? What shape was the belt in ?
Just curious .....
His records stated they had been replaced at 40K. The ones we pulled off looked good, but went in the trash. I don't believe in pushing any timing belt beyond 60K.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Plus one for replacing everything you can afford while it is apart. It is easier to do it now before it fails. Keep in mind it is the factory part that lasted all this time. You simply can not go wrong by using good quality parts.if in doubt buy factory parts. I have had great results using aftermarket parts and Gates are among the best when it comes to timing belts.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
wow i got one heck of a ford discount then. i just order timing belts for the 1200 and 1500 wing and my bill was $51 and change with tax

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Two Guns,

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I decided today to replace the belts as we reassemble the '85 Aspencade from the air intakes-off/throttle valve level. The bike only has 57K miles, but at 27 years old, and having sat for most of the last two years, it's just time to do the prudent thing and replace them.

Cool running!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts