Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just got a 88 1500 with 61000 miles on, it the bike runs great but I don't know if the timing belts where ever changed . I would like to know if there is any way to check them and how .I have a haynes manual but it is very unclear on the timing belt . also how hard is it to change and is there step by step instruction on how to replace and about how long it will take on the web. thanks I have done searched and found nothing on it yet .

thanks for any help
mike cleveland

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that will help

·
Registered
7 Posts
not terrible

I did my timing belts over the winter. The only real way of checking the belts is to actually take the cover off and look at them. Trouble is that there is alot of plastic to take off, hoses to disconnect, etc to get to the point where you'll be able to get the cover off. By the time you get that far, you might as well just change the belts and get it over with. Mine had 89,000 miles on them and looked alittle shiney but not terrible. I'm glad I won't have to worry about them for another 89,000 miles or so. The peace of mind is worth the effort.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a '87 GL1200 recently with 52,000 miles and had the local dealer change timing belts on it. He showed me the old belts and while there was no cracking in them they were a little shiny and you could see one side of the teeth slightly worn down. I just felt it was a good thing to change them for the small cost involved.

Also, get a Clymer Manual for your bike. When I bought my 1200, the PO gave me his Clymer manual for it. Since Haynes had been my primary source for all of my automotive work, I ordered a Haynes manual for my 1200. The Clymer has 419 pages, the Haynes has 208. Lots more detail in the Clymer. I assume the one for the 1500 would be the same.

Hoss

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a Clymer for my '94SE,it is 779 pages. There are some things omitted to protect themselves liability wise,due to people that try & do things that they really shouldn't. I hope to sometime get the real thing somewhere used.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you get the Clymer for a gold wing at a auto parts shop

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mike,i checked when i got mine 3yrs.ago,they could've ordered it for me,but i ended up getting it myself online cheaper. If i remember right it was about $50. Just google Clymer & pick the site you are comfortable with that has the best price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts