Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,575 Posts
NO!

I rode a Spyder and didn't like it at all.

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
+1 with Ron. If it means still riding I may.

·
Premium Member
8,512 Posts
I tried a friend of a friend's CanAm and while they're cool pieces of engineering I didn't dig the ride much. It wasn't anything wrong with the machine, it just felt really weird. Suppose in time, like anything, it would feel OK. I'd go with a triked Wing first, like Trike Lady Val said, and only for health reasons like Ron and Bill said. It would be hard to give up the lean into curves, though. Such a fundamental part of the riding experience for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,176 Posts
tryed the spyder and didn't like the steering, no i wouldn't trade or sell a wing to get a spyder

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Replacing the previously totaled wing required a trike. During my initial research on the various conversions, I found a guy near Austin, Tx who had bought a Spyder and a few months later bought Wing/MotorTrike. Since then he has put twice as many miles on his Wing. He feels the Spyder is a sportier ride in the twisties, but the Wing is much better for the longer rides, especially two-up.

I had a chance to get either. No trade. Just choose and buy. Before you buy a Spyder, come test ride my MotorTrike.

·
Premium Member
7,603 Posts
Not now since I have a Tow Pac Insta Trike on my GW. Between that and the fact that I have the perfect 2 up tourer, why would I want anything else?

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
Not yet...

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I ride a 2010 wing/champion conversion. I like some of the featurs on the Spyder but it ends with that. Downs on the Spyder are , poor fuel milage you do good to get 28 mpg !
Electronic problems reported (a lot) , very high cost a maitenance .

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not now since I have a Tow Pac Insta Trike on my GW. Between that and the fact that I have the perfect 2 up tourer, why would I want anything else?
Is that Rhetorical, or do I hear a scooter whine? lol

·
Premium Member
7,603 Posts
Is that Rhetorical, or do I hear a scooter whine? lol
Actually Jack, I did test ride a 95 Lehman GW trike recently in Eureka Springs, Arkansas and man was I in love. The steering on a true trike conversion is effortless compared to mine. I've got some local friends who just bought Spyders at 31k each that I rode with this weekend. They seemed to like them and one of the couples; the husband has to ride as passenger as Beth won't give him the keys. I think she's not at all intimidated by the bike and is having lots of fun riding it. As for me; I'm really happy not having payments on a 31k note. And they're talking about getting another one too. :goofy:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
When the time comes, I'll consider three wheels, be it a trike or a Spyder, rather than give up riding. Meanwhile, I'll keep an ear out for pros and cons of both.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was actually seriously considering a Spyder to do some touring with my son... Until I researched them a bit. They sound like very complicated problematic machines. Lot's of stories on the net about them being in dealerships for a month or more for warranty work/ repairs. Our season here is to short to even consider having a bike in the shop for that long. I'd tryke the wing vs getting the Can Am.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It's basically a sled with a wheel kit and while I love riding sleds all winter(at least I did when we actually got enough snow to do it)I have no interest in riding one all summer.I'll stick with the Wing.

PS Ski-Doo used to sell an add-on wheel kit for a sled back in the late 60's.Guess they finally got the idea to fly with the Spyder.Talk about being on the drawing board for a long time.:dunno:

·
Registered
325 Posts

Really like your new picture. Looks great. Now so I am not hijacking the thread,

NO! I have a trike for health reasons, one of the most beautiful colors, sierra green, (right Dan?). Have some friends who purchased the Spider, they are happy as can be with them. However, not me. KEEP MY WING.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts