Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Well I guess it's time,, I only have 72K on my 83 1100 Interstate, but "BlackVelvet" seems to allow a little fuel into 1 of the cylinders when she is resting,,(shut off). Yes I turn gas off, & I keep her on the centerstand; but when I start her up after a few days.. One side begins to smoke.. (white)... It clears up after she warms up but I think I need to go through those carbs.. Any suggestions??
Does anyone have a "deal" on quality OEM parts for these carbs??

Well I know Honda sells,em,, but they LIKE em alot ...
Thanks for your help.
G wallwork,, aka Velvetrider.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Just bo't 2 kits for 1 benjamin at oldbikebarn.com. for 1500.
Don't know about 1100 but it was recommended by mechanic here.
I also found step by step instructions on rebuild online by googling, again for 1500. But you can take a look if
no one here has it saved.

·
Registered
52 Posts
carbs

I have 78 Wing. When the carbs start acting up I put a few ounces of Lucas fuel treatment in a full tank of gas.After running about 50 miles the problems clear up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
velvetrider - Some amt of smoking is normal for the 1000 & 1100 isn't it ? because mine do-LOL
i would hate to see someone pull apart carbs unless there was no other options I agree with Madmike, he uses Lucas , i use MMO my buddy uses fuel injector cleaner in his bike and swears by it. I have heard of some who use ATF
It may just have a small amt of debris in the seat allowing gas to seep through and a cleaner would solve the issue
The next question would be where the contaminate came from , check your tank for rust etc , i learned the hard way about plugging a clean rack onto a dirty tank--not good !!
I use Randdak www.randakks.com/TechTips.htm Read through his tips, he also sells kits which i use , i believe he sells a book on 1100 carb rebuilds
Good luck
Terry

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi velvetrider, did you say the smoke is white in color? white smoke is not a rich fuel problem but a water problem. next time you start your gw, put your hand in the white smoke an smell it for coolant odors. good luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
When you say " it cleans up after she worms up" does that mean after 10-20 seconds or 5 -10 minutes. Try closing the fuel and disconnect the fuel line going to the pump and see if there is some drip but that should not make it smoke cause I have mine on all the time and if you had a bad float it would piss fuel. Pop the heads off and replace the head gaskets ($25 for a pair) and make sure you have that little O-ring for an oil orifice replaced and while at it, lap the valves. If she starts up cold and runs ok it's not her carbs and with the mileage she has I would do the heads just in case. With brand new valve guides it will still smoke at startup, not all the time and very often but if it happens all the time it is cheap to replace the and mainly on the intake side, the exhaust ones need to wobble a bit more.

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
I will start by saying that I haven't worked on a 1100 wing but I have on many old bike and cars. The symptoms tell you what is wrong with your bike. When a motor blows white smoke its getting too much oil in the cylinders. The oil can get into the cylinder past the rings or past the valve guides seals. If it is getting past the rings, it will blow lots of white smoke while under power and if you pull the plugs out they will look wet and sooty. With the valve guides you will notice that when the motor is in the high vaccuum. That is when you are going down hill with the throttle closed or coming up to a red light with the throttle closed and then when you take off again there is lots of white smoke. The oil get in past the valve guides while its in the high vaccuum. Valve guide will let more oil past when the motor is cold. On a long trip it can look like there is nothing wrong because the motor is hot more than it's cold and therefore not much oil is getting past. Black smoke tells you that there is too much gas in the motor. Check the air filter, adjust the carburettors air mix. If it's still blowing black smoke and running very rough, rebuild the carbs. Eric

·
Registered
129 Posts
This place is becoming like than Naked Goldwing joint, too many mechanics with nothing to do and a opinion out of their. Eric, if it blows smoke, white, purlple, magenda or pink, 99.9 % it is oil so stop elaborating on the known issues and tell the guy how to lap the valves

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
Astro123: Well said, it would be good to spend your time lapping the valves and putting new guide in when the problem is the carby or doing both to find that it was the rings. Happy new year. Eric

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now you explaining the process, as if I do not know it, instead of telling the guy how to lap them, again. Even if the ring compression is low, and it probably is, it takes less then 1/2 n hour to take care of the heads. You have no idea of how to do it so .......

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
Maybe you can help me out. I have a 1949 Vauxhall Velox 18hp motor which I have partly done up. I have had it rebored 30 thousand with over size pistons fitted, new mains bearing, new conrod bearings. I do have the valve paste and valve puller and valve cups. The first photo shows that. The second photo shows the short block. The third photo shows the head with the valves still in. What should I do next. Do you think I should check it for flatness. Should I compress the valve spring and take out the cotters to remove the valves. Your advice would be much appreciated. Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Let us leave this post so that he can do what it has to be done and send me the same info on [email protected]. '49, they had no vehicles running benz., turbo steam was the that year. I do need to see the valve mushroom but it should be a simple job. There's a certain way to do it manually and it's just as good as doing it on a precision machine but you need to be able to "feel" it. Not that big of a deal after all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought this is why we have forms such as this , too bounce ideas etc. I did not realize it is a place where only one may reply and rest are required to shut-up and listen. Sure takes the fun out of this forum , it will be a long time before i submit input on any subject--Happy New Year
Terry

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Astor123, shut your drunken ass up!

Hi folks,
Well I guess it's time,, I only have 72K on my 83 1100 Interstate, but "BlackVelvet" seems to allow a little fuel into 1 of the cylinders when she is resting,,(shut off). Yes I turn gas off, & I keep her on the centerstand; but when I start her up after a few days.. One side begins to smoke.. (white)... It clears up after she warms up but I think I need to go through those carbs.. Any suggestions??
Does anyone have a "deal" on quality OEM parts for these carbs??

Well I know Honda sells,em,, but they LIKE em alot ...
Thanks for your help.
G wallwork,, aka Velvetrider.

If you live in a colder climate white smoke (steam) could be nothing more than condensation! I wouldn't worry about it unless it is a lot of it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.