Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if any of you heard of this.
As you may recall, I have been going through my issues with stripping a drain plug on the Nighthawk. First, I unsuccessfully tried to find an oversized plug. Next it was to pull the oil pan and re-thread the drain. I decided on a Time-Sert kit and recommend it highly. It was a breeze.
http://www.timesert.com/
Gaskets and new plug should be in tomorrow. If I can get everything put back together, I am gonna put the old girl in the wind. :Dance02:

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Great news Phil. Hope your riding tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
28,146 Posts
I had entire faith in you my man. Glad to hear the repair went well.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Very cool Phil! I like those better than a HeliCoil set up. Just curious as to cost difference between the two?

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very cool Phil! I like those better than a HeliCoil set up. Just curious as to cost difference between the two?

Mark
HeliCoil seems to have a history of backing out. This Time-Sert is a complete Carbon Steel sleeve. The kit was $92.00 but will be on ebay pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
HeliCoil seems to have a history of backing out. This Time-Sert is a complete Carbon Steel sleeve. The kit was $92.00 but will be on ebay pretty soon.
Way cheaper than a pan replacement I'm sure, Not a bad deal for a possible catastrophe!

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Way cheaper than a pan replacement I'm sure, Not a bad deal for a possible catastrophe!

Mark
Especially when there isn't a pan to replace it with.

·
Super Moderator
14,250 Posts
Sure glad you found a fix. I will have to keep this in mind as I came close to the same issue with my Yamaha.

·
Super Moderator
11,506 Posts
Glad you were able to repair it.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I jumped the gun boys. The kit I ordered had too long of an insert. So it looks like I will be pulling the pan again and trying again. Time-sert will get one more shot on my stupidity. Just know if it doesn't work this time, I will buy a bigger tap and moving up a size.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
:animad::animad::icon_smile_sad::icon_smile_sad:
Nothing is ever easy, good luck with the second go.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I take back everything I said about Time Sert. It may work for some but not for me. Contacted the company with my problems and the first kit they sent had the wrong insert. They sent a smaller insert and instructed me to put locktite on for 24 hours. Followed the directions and left it cure for 48 hours to be sure. Put the plug in and tightened it down and drip drip. Will be making that angry call in the morning to Time Sert. After that I'm taking the pan off for the 3rd time and sending it to a machine shop to see if they can fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Ref, Did you spray the threads real well with brake or carb clean before you installed the TimeSert insert & locktite? That is crucial to get any debris & oil out of the threads.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ref, Did you spray the threads real well with brake or carb clean before you installed the TimeSert insert & locktite? That is crucial to get any debris & oil out of the threads.

Mark

Inside, out and around

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
724 Posts
Time-Serts

Hey Efinref, Man - There is nothing more frustrating than having to repeatedly take something apart during a repair. A Time-Sert would seem to be a good solution to restore the oil pan threads in your bike. I've not used a Time-Sert kit on a large size bolt, but I have successfully used them on numerous early 911 Porsche flat 6 engines with pulled cylinder studs. The extreme operating failures on these engines when raced are pretty well eliminated once Time-Serts are installed in all of the stress points. Hope the next attempt at solving your leak works. Please keep us posted -

Good Luck, Michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts