Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, for those of you following along, I’ve got the 1980 Goldwing Interstate my dad bought new, and I have been restoring it over the past year between other projects (both four-wheel-on-track-fun and work).

I had wanted to take the bike on a memorial ride out west to the Rockies, Yellowstone, Black Hills, etc., all the places he went to when he got this new. He’s been gone 20 years and the bike is 40 years old. It got kinda late in the season for me to pull that off (my fault), so I’m punting by taking it to Florida to visit my daughter and son-in-law, as well as my dad’s family in JAX. He lived in Jacksonville for a time while owning the bike, and my uncle had one at some point as well.

I’ve been over this thing from nose-to-tail, inside-and-out. In just the past month, I’ve done the head gaskets, valve stem seals, new water pump, all kinds of o-rings and the water pump casing gasket, and I still had chocolate milk in the oil and white smoke out of the left pipe. I fear that it’s really a cracked head or worse, the block. Nothing leaks outside the engine, so I did what some of you may think is a bad idea and I used the Bar’s Leaks Head Gasket repair stuff to seal whatever is causing smoke and water/oil mixing.

I ran it a little over 30 miles yesterday and nothing fell off, caught fire, or otherwise caused any havoc. It doesn’t run like new, with somewhat poor throttle response, so I’ll just keep feeding it Sea Foam for a few tanks, I guess. It does idle ok when warm and doesn't backfire. I checked my valve adjustments and they're still good. Compression is ~170 on 1 and 3, ~150 on 2 and 4. I need to check compression after a ride, that was cold and with no miles on it post gasket replacement. No more smoke, so I’m going to change the oil and filter yet again, take it on a dry run to Southern Indiana and back home (~100+ miles) today, and if it feels ‘ok’, attempt a run to my daughter’s in Florida this weekend. I’ll try and make it to the south side of ATL, overnight, and then make it to NW Florida the next day. Almost an Iron Butt run at 895 miles…

Wish me luck and thanks for your continued support!!

Doug

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Good luck. It might be a bad head gasket, as they did tend to have issues on the early Wings.

Reactions: Luv2fish and NREMTP

·
Registered
518 Posts
Wish you the best luck.👍

·
Registered
15 Posts
What is the throttle response like. I’m restoring an 86’ and it’s tricky because I’ve never ridden anything like it. Mine sat for 16 years or so. But it idles good like yours but I feel like we are a: having the same issue or b: they are old and not good like more modern bikes. Between the two I find a more probable. When you hit the throttle is there a slight lag and you can kinda hear a whistle kind of noise before it revs up? Mine does I’m not sure if it’s supposed to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the throttle response like. I’m restoring an 86’ and it’s tricky because I’ve never ridden anything like it. Mine sat for 16 years or so. But it idles good like yours but I feel like we are a: having the same issue or b: they are old and not good like more modern bikes. Between the two I find a more probable. When you hit the throttle is there a slight lag and you can kinda hear a whistle kind of noise before it revs up? Mine does I’m not sure if it’s supposed to.
Good question - a motorcycle racer friend of mine mentioned two reasons why: it's a shaft drive and it's a heavy bike. He implied age as well but I do ride a 650 Versys other times and there's no comparison in age, weight, and drivetrain. I didn't have any passing issues on the interstate but you did have to plan a bit. :) So my thoughts are (after 900 miles of riding it to Florida from Indy just this past weekend) that's he is right and weight and drive shaft do make a diff in comparison to others. My previous old bike was a 1981 CB750 Custom so while it's old as well, it was only a little smaller engine but lighter (no fairing/bags/top case) and chain drive.

My .02

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel like it has trouble getting going sometimes, but I’ll just get used to it and hopefully it becomes more responsive.
It certainly could use a carb rebuild but in lieu of that, you might try using Sea Foam with each tank fill-up for a bit - at least I've been told that's a good idea on an old bike that's sat.

Good luck and ride it!

·
Registered
518 Posts
A carb rebuild and sync will make a world of difference. Also make sure that every carb passage is open, a carb soak will probably not due it if it sat for awhile, you may have to use shop air and some wire to clean the passages. I use a torch tip cleaning wire set for the job.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It should not damage the bike if the only issue you have is stated above. My daughter had a GS that had been sitting for years before she bought it, had the same symptoms as you're rode the whole summer with me and then over winter I removed and cleaned the carbs. I had to work on them for over a week after work, put them back on and synced them and had a different bike. After the cleaning it started easier, was less cold natured and felt like I had picked up 10hp. The most important thing is to make sure that ALL passages and jets are clean. From what you posted my guess would be partial clogging jets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts