Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Go to this web address:

www.allamericanprod.com/tiedown.html

In addition I put a block of soft wood between the engine block and floor of the trailer just so that the forks won't compress too much when strapping them down and risk blowing one out when hitting a pothole. I also transport the bike in nuteral while strapped down to relieve tranny pressure.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If it's a longbed yes, no problem. A short-box is another issue, that's about 6'6". A Goldwing is over 8' long so it's going to ride the rear wheel on the tailgate. If you had to transport a wing in a short-box, I'd lay down a 3/4" sheet of plywood to help distribute the weight better. Again, proper tie-downs are a must.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I hauled my 85 GW LTD 350 miles on an ATV trailer. It did'nt move one bit during the trip.
I stopped to checked the tiedowns twice but they were tight and it arrived the same as
when I tied it down at the beginning of the trip.There seems to be a few schools of thought on this but here's what I did. Shut it off in gear,used a tie strap on the brake lever,rest it on the side stand,bumped the front wheel against the front panel or a secured 4x4 block and jammed the loading ramp behind the back wheel. Use the rachet type tiedowns "this is important" because the slider type tiedowns will loosen under the weight of the bike when the trailer hits a bump, the rachet ones will stay tight. Use a minimum of 4 tiedown points.
Don't put it on the center stand,it'll rock back and forth. I've taken my GW on the Ocean Ferries a few times and the ferry crews always put bikes on the side stand for that reason then block the wheels.
I have photos of my bike on the trailer for proof of a good tiedown.One improvement
I'll make is to have a steel 4" channel iron welded into an "L" shape and secured to the trailer then I can snug the front wheel into it and lock the front wheel against it.These
units are available ready made and work quite well,they have a trip lever mechanism that
flips up as the front wheel drives over it and locks the wheel in place.

Robert

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts