Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be trailering my new GL1800 home from the dealer Thursday. Where should the tie-down straps be attached on the GL1800?

·
Registered
739 Posts
2 back from passenger guards, 2 out from guards, 2 out from front guards and 2 forward from guards. A little extra tie-down from under faring to front of trailer if you think you need them. ALWAYS tow mine on trailer ON center stand!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd suggest not using the guards for tie downs. IMO they're too weak and the tie down pull is lateral to the strength of the guards. Here's what I did in Alaska on the Ferry. Get some 1" nylon webbing, about 6'. Make 4 loops of the webbing by tying a simple overhand knot to form each loop. Pop of the side panels above the guards exposing the frame. Wrap a loop each around the frame and there's your tie points for the rear. On the front I use longer loops and wrap around the forks ABOVE the brace. There's your 2 front tie points.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Never on side stand nor on center stand nor use the tip over bars. If you are unlucky enough to hit a sizable pot hole or a severe bump while towing at speed, you will find out why!
2 soft ties around lower triple tree, ractchet strap to floor anchors pulling slightly forward which insure the front wheel will stay fully seated in the wheel chock.
Remove the side covers. Soft ties around the frame pulling slightly rearward and just snugged.

This post is also all who trailer: Do not use the wrong places to tie to or set your selves up for bent/broken parts/frames from using the side stand or the center stand or the tip over bars.
FYI: the tip over bars are designed for "up" forces applied if the bike should fall over. They are not designed for pulling down on!
Many have used the tip over bars and I see bikes on trailers on the side stand and some on the center stand. IMO, those people have been very lucky they have never given the trailer a sudden hard jolt!
I even use 2 straps at each tie point, in case one should fail and they do fail from time to time!
Never compress the forks more than a couple inches

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with everything "tfdeputydawg" said. I have had good luck with the lower tripple and seat grips on a 1500. The 1800 can be secured the same way or as previously recommended using soft ties to the frame. The GWRRA gold book also cautions about using the tip over bars for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I follow the recommendations in the GWRRA Gold Book as well.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
While soft ties around the passenger grips handles was OK on the 1500, they are not recommended on the 1800 because of the aluminum(1800)vs steel frame(1500).
Again, many may do this w/no problem but it only takes once to "ruin your day"!
WILLMAX, haven't seen a Goldbook since my 1500 days! How does it "say" to tie down the 1800?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Do NOT use the crash guards! Follow the steps Deputy Dog said. That is the correct way to trailer your wing (even though that's blasphemy)! :eek: ;)

Mark

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
While soft ties around the passenger grips handles was OK on the 1500, they are not recommended on the 1800 because of the aluminum(1800)vs steel frame(1500).
WILLMAX, haven't seen a Goldbook since my 1500 days! How does it "say" to tie down the 1800?
Thanks
Yeah your right about the passenger grips. They aren't designed for use as tie-downs.

This is the procedure I will use.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
What tf said is very close to what's in the Goldbook. If you can get one, a supplemental front wheel chock is also a good idea.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Over 5000 miles logged tied down MY way and no problems. Angle of straps is KEY! Also considering I use 10 straps IT DOES NOT MOVE! All are 1inch nylon 2000lb rated rubber coated hook straps. Considering size and length of bolts I would NEVER use seat grips! Trailer is custom built by me just to tow my wing. Have loaned it to a few officers to tow theirs and tied down same way with no problems. Trailer has full active suspension so potholes and bumps are not that big of a deal. Do get teased about number of straps but better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Thanks
Here's what the 2011 GWRRA Goldbook says: "Attach a soft tie to the lower triple clamp, hook an adjustable tie-down to the soft tie, pull forward and out, and do this on both sides in front. The tie-downs should attach to the vehicle about 24 inches out from the bike's front wheel.

Remove the Wing's side covers, attach a soft tie around the frame, hook a tie-down to the soft tie and pull slightly forward and out from the motorcycle. Repeat for the other side.

(The passenger handles on the GL1800 have rubber collars in the seat and are not designed to have tie-downs attached to secure the motorcycle there! Doing this could damage the bolt and/or the threaded area of the frame. In our view this is actually a superior method even for the GL1500).

Attach another soft tie around the rear bag guard and SUB FRAME.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THIS TIE IS ATTACHED TO BOTH THE BAG GUARD AND SUB FRAME!

Then hook a tie-down to this soft tie and pull to the rear and outward. This will help stabilize the motorcycle.

If not using some sort of front wheel chock, it is important to secure the front wheel so it cannot turn.

This is the way we tie our Gold Wing into the trailer and have been doing it this way for years; it is the most secure method we have found.

We caution you NOT to tie down a Gold Wing GL1800 using the handlebars or engine guards or bag guards. They will break! That is the reason we use the SUB FRAME and bag guard."

Illustrative pictures we also included with their explanation.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
What tf said is very close to what's in the Goldbook. If you can get one, a supplemental front wheel chock is also a good idea.
Not sure what you mean by "supplemental"?
But, yes a front wheel chock is definitely a must or the tire will slide and down will go "Humpty Dumpty":eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
Sure sounds like it would be easier to just ride the thing home....LOL

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Wow! And I thought this was just good old common sense, guess maybe I take this stuff for granted since I have been around trailering and securing equipment and such all my life. I have been really surprised at how many adult men have never pulled a trailer in their entire life.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wish I would have seen this a couple of weeks ago. kept having my tiedowns come loose. Fortunately the front wheel was in a chock and I had 6 tie downs total so no damage but when I got home it was wiggling all over the place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.