Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new trike owner...I have a 2005 GW GL1800, I have had it for about three weeks...this morning I started it up and was letting it warm up when after about 50 seconds...I heard a tick...about every 3-4 seconds it would tick again...I gave the engine a little rev and it didn't effect the tick at all...stayed about 3-4 seconds...so I shut it down...quickly looked around to see what it may have been...it sounded like it was coming out of the right side glove box...anyway, found nothing started it up again...let it idle for 4-5 minutes...no more ticking at all...so I went for a 120+ mile ride...listening the whole time to the ticking...but never heard it again...I stopped for gas...then again for food and no more ticking...is this something that is common, and is this something I need to take to a mechanic.

Iguanaman

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Iguanaman,

The ticking noise you describe could be a number of things, however if it was a damp or rainy day it could have been one of your spark plug leads jumping to earth on the engine block. Give your leads a good clean and spray them with some silicone spray to insulate them.
Hope you find the problem.

Mick.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Some wing owners have mentioned a ticking sound caused by the fuel injectors. That may be your problem.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Ticking from fuel injectors are common on the 1800 Wing but you should be able to hear it by the heads, I doubt if it's plug wires, they are very well protected from water.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oil breakdown??? I've had that in the past on an auto. Used Quaker State and it lasted 1000 miles and the engine started "ticking". Good luck finding the culprit!
Chrisgl1800

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
There are many things going on inside the bodywork on our machines. If it's is happening only right after start-up, I'm thinking it's coming from the charging system. Battery voltage can drop alot after starting and then it's up to the alternator to get the voltage back up again, so there could be some relays activating and such. Warrants keeping an eye on though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts