·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did you ever get a ticket on a motorcycle? what for

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
No. I can see no good reason why I have not, yet. Perhaps my senses are heightened when riding so I'm more aware of the surroundings and always looking for trouble situations. Might be that I'm just Mr. Lucky.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Many years ago I bought a brand new1969 Triumph and to look cool, I thought I'd remove the front fender. Next thing I know I'm busted :eek:. This was in the city of Toronto and in those days you didn't need to wear helmets. No helmet, o.k., no fender, not o.k.
Strat

·
Registered
77 Posts
Stopped and warned but not written yet. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Got pulled over by a motorcycle cop in the middle of winter if that counts. If it hadn't snowed for a few days and roads clear he rode because no one expected him then. Talked motorcycles for a half hour and he said of I get a citation in the mail pay it otherwise do nothing. Didn't receive one. Felt lucky

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Got stopped a couple of times but never got a ticket, but riding for over 45 years I don't think thats to bad.
First time we on 1972 Honda 750, My wife just had our first baby, I was on my way back to the hospital, got pulled over but I had a box of cigars with IT'S A GIRL written on them, showed them to the cop and he left me go

Second time I was on 1992 Gold Wing in Colorado, about 5 bikes and we were on vacation, pulled out of a gas station and didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign before turning, got pulled over but he let me go.

Third time I was on my 98SE on the 5 FWY in Santa Clarita, Ca, pulling a trailer and was in the #2 lane, got pulled over and was told to keep it at 55 and stay in the slow lane, no ticket that time either.

Fourth time I was on my 02 Gold Wing in Arizona, just came out of a twisty road into a school zone where the speed limit dropped to 25 MPH, as soon I entered the school zone and was slowing down I got hit with radar and pulled over, since I was out of state and just inside the school zone, after a bunch of talking, he let me go.

If I get stopped on my Concours I know it will be for speeding!!
:D :D :D :D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Several times. Three of which were completely ludicrous. One for going a buck-ten in a 100 zone (68 mph in a 60) on my 1500after being blazed by a Gixxer doing about mach 2 but the Leo 'didn't have his radar set'; and another for doing 80 in a 70 zone (50 in a 45 mph). Both instances it was just me and the member (well, the guy on the Gixxer) for about 30 miles. Another one was for crossing a solid lane after passing a vehicle (unknown road and passed a semi and came up to a hill before crossing back into my lane) Cop told me after he wrote me that it was one of his favorite spots to write paper! Now given the fact that there have been way more times that I've been let off than ever written, that ain't bad really. The guy that let me go on my Interceptor (180kph/112mph) should have slapped me in cuffs but was more interested in my bike than tickets that day.
I used to drive an Integra Type R (stupid fast little beast) and I got tagged in that for doing a buck-ten. Leo was very apollogetic about it and said he was sorry to ticket me, but his NCO was being anal about 'zero tollerance' and checked their boxes and books every day so he had to. Said he'd never have pulsed the gun if he had dreamed I was going 'that slow'. Any other day I could have been running a very crow-bar hotel-ish velocity. Radar detectors don't give you enough time to haul down from tripple digit speeds in a car or on a bike. So those of you that swear by them remember that human reactions are no match for modern radio technology;)

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Several times :) Mostly speeding Once for not waiting for the light to cycle an just going. I knew he could see me run it but knew he xouldnt turn around to get me BIG Median He found away. I deseeved paper but he let me go. I have been let go more times than wrote. Hmmmm guess its my charm :eek:

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Only got pulled over one time. I was going to help with a prescribe burn for the day at a Wildlife Refuge east of my home. My regular work place was west so I decided to save a piece of the commute and head straight there. Just before leaving the news people were talking about a bad wreck that had the road closed on the direct route. Going a different way would mean it taking longer so I was late. Heading out I went past a school zone but it was before 6:00 am. I was thinking about the detour and not paying attention to my speed. Noticed the officer parked on the side and looked at my speedometer. I was 15 over the limit. I was pulling over before he even turned on his lights. I tried to talk my way out of it but he wrote me up for 10 over. I hoped he might let me go but pretty sure he was working on his quota. Couldn't argue with him, I was driving safe but going too fast, nobody else on the road but me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did once on my first bike for loud pipes got a mail in ticket,but I never did quiet them down. Got stopped again in school zone last year I don't think I was speeding didn't get a ticket. I think the cop just wanted to look at my bike:D

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Once, many years ago on the 400. I had just turned a corner and was speeding up. Noticed the motorcycle cop shooting radar and pulled over at the next side street. He said he had clocked me at 55 in a 30 zone, a $137 fine. He then stated he knew how easy it was to exceed the limit on a bike and ticketed me for 10 over, a $47 fine.
Keep in mind I was earning something like $2.35 an hour back then! :eek:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Only got pulled over one time. I was going to help with a prescribe burn for the day at a Wildlife Refuge east of my home. My regular work place was west so I decided to save a piece of the commute and head straight there. Just before leaving the news people were talking about a bad wreck that had the road closed on the direct route. Going a different way would mean it taking longer so I was late. Heading out I went past a school zone but it was before 6:00 am. I was thinking about the detour and not paying attention to my speed. Noticed the officer parked on the side and looked at my speedometer. I was 15 over the limit. I was pulling over before he even turned on his lights. I tried to talk my way out of it but he wrote me up for 10 over. I hoped he might let me go but pretty sure he was working on his quota. Couldn't argue with him, I was driving safe but going too fast, nobody else on the road but me.
Crownfire...after explaining the situation and being in your line of business, the sob still didn't let you go?? If the situation was different and the fire was about to engulf his home, think he would have let you off? That sucks!
Strat

·
Registered
741 Posts
I lost my license twice in the 1980's. The first for pulling a wheelie through ten city blocks and the second for 100+ on the freeway. I never run from the police and they have always been professional. Now that I ride on the racetrack they leave me alone. Best of all, now that I ride a Goldwing, they don't even look at me. 'Officer, this bike weighs over a thousand pounds and I can barely do highway speeds. " I haven't had a ticket since

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
my first ticket on a bike came on my norton. he stopped me for speeding but i was only doing 22mph in a 25mph zone, he got upset but the area was a known speed trap. he said the dunstall pipes were too loud, i pointed out the fact that the pipes were unaltered and dot approved, he turned red in the face and started looking the bike over and gave me a ticket for the only thing he could find wrong, darn those k81r's. my other ticket was for having a burnt out tail light on my cb 350

·
Registered
741 Posts
From what I read, the police seem much less easy going as one travels east. I hear the same from my car enthusiast and motorhome forums. Just my observations.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i don't know about that. i use to work over by tiger stadium back in the '80's and ended up having to work a saturday i had not planned on working so my day started out bad. had trouble in thewarehouse and toruble on the road at almost every stop. i was a truck driver. then i had a problem with the truck and ended up getting off work three hours later than expected. i was well passed peeved. i was riding the 900 powered '79 cb750 at the time. i left the job doing 60 down rosaparks then south on I-75 doing 85 picking up I96 going westand cruising at 130 i thought about how good it felt to finally be off work but what do i see just up the road ? its a white bike gleaming in the afternoon sunshine. so what do i do? hit the gas and catch up to this guy on the gleaming white bike. its a harley.........being ridden by a detroit police officer. coudn't tell it was a cop bike until i got up close to it

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Stopper yes, ticket no. Why'd I get stopped well when an officer sees a glock 17 hanging out from under a riders jacket for some reason they feel compelled to have a chat with you. That chat started out rather edgy but once I took the jacket off and exposed my own uniform and badge from a neighboring town things were cool. That's the only time I've been stopped on a bike. Wasn't a wing either, a 76 Honda cb750 with vetter fairing, wing wanna be I guess.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Never got a ticket but should have a couple of times. The worst was when I first got the Wing and was riding with some of my buddies and one guy wanted to impress me with his power. He just happened to be on a HD Sreaming Eagle. We kept pushing each other on a twistie back road and then I said enough was enough and left him behind only to be met by the RCMP at the end of a stretch going into a turn. The only thing I can figure is that he did not have time to turn on his radar. That was my last day of riding STUPID.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Never had a ticket, though I'm often guilty of what's known as a "California Stop" in these parts at stop signs.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Crownfire...after explaining the situation and being in your line of business, the sob still didn't let you go?? If the situation was different and the fire was about to engulf his home, think he would have let you off? That sucks!
Strat
It was okay, not a wildfire. I was going to set a fire to burn the underbrush. I was hoping he would let me off because we were the only ones out there but no luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts