Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 wing and it is my first.
Ever since I got it, there has been an ever so slight tick in the engine ( I assume a slight ticking of the valves). After 5 months and 11,000 miles, the tick is still there. My dealer said everything seemed fine to him.
Is this tick normal?

·
Registered
43 Posts
They all seem to have a slight valve train tick. My 2010 has from day one. Motorcycle engine noise is so glaring in my opinion due to the fact we are sitting on the motors. Other vehicles benefit from hoods and the like. Goldwings have no exhaust noise to speak of which makes it noticeable . Your motor is bullet proof with proper maintenance. Its all good!

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Actually, what you're hearing (most likely) is the injectors. Don't worry, be happy, it's all good!

Mark

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Actually, what you're hearing (most likely) is the injectors. Don't worry, be happy, it's all good!

Mark
I my friend want to spend some more time with you I love that positive way of life. Don't worry, be happy, it's all good! Come on next spring I'll get the boys from Pa. and Gordo and you get the boys from the south and we need to do a long weekend ride. Wieberg do not worry about that noise the wing can make some noise and it will run for ever.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
I my friend want to spend some more time with you I love that positive way of life. Don't worry, be happy, it's all good! Come on next spring I'll get the boys from Pa. and Gordo and you get the boys from the south and we need to do a long weekend ride. Wieberg do not worry about that noise the wing can make some noise and it will run for ever.
Pete,

It would be a great weekend for sure! I (we, the wife & I) will be looking forward to it! C'mon spring!

Mark

·
Registered
739 Posts
Listen at the front center cover on the engine (right behind the front wheel) for the tick. All of the 1800 use timing chains and hydrolic (oil pressure operated) tensioner assembly. They are known for a slight tick! No need to worry as mine has 50,000 miles on it and has never changed.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Ticks are normal...I am always spraying my cows for 'em. :eek:Isaac

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
What if you hear the tick in a 1200? Is it still normal? Mine has 88k on it and is a 87' aspencade.

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
What if you hear the tick in a 1200? Is it still normal? Mine has 88k on it and is a 87' aspencade.
Your bike has hydraulic tappets.
Is the ticking you hear when the bike is first started or constantly?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Your bike has hydraulic tappets.
Is the ticking you hear when the bike is first started or constantly?
It's noticeable when you first start it which I know is normal for hydraulic tappets. When it's idling you can hear it if you listen but it's not like a loud sound just a tick. Not a knock by any means.

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
I normally do frequent oil changes (and some say its wasteful) every 2500 miles. I used Honda GN4 and a Honda filter and had excellent results.
Members here have used Seafoam to 'Flush' the engine and it does get a lot of stuff (bad) out of the engine.
They'll make a wee bit of noise until they receive oil.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Isaac,
You spray those cows with WD-40 or CRC for the ticks?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I did both. Love me some amsoil!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.