Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many thx for the most informative information by you more seasoned wingers, that being said...how important is the front fender extension to protect the lower cowl from road rash or damage? The ST 1300 took a heavy hit and damaged both lowers and cracked the uppers, almost 1200.00 worth of damage. I realize a fender extension may or may not have helped, but is the 1800 more susceptible?

Thx

N1

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Accidental help and information happens from time to time on this forum. Don't have a fender extension yet after 20,000 miles of road riding and no cracked plastic as a result of not having one, yet. It is on my Wingstuff wish list. I wish it will be this year. Like the belly pan, you won't appreciate it until you need it.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
N1, my take on an extension is adds a nice look if you choose the right one & keeps mud/road tar/stuff off the cowl. I'm not sure that it would help with impact items but never tested it either.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
This is the one I installed on my 06 in Aug of 06. No issues so far. At the time of purchase it was the longest extension on the market and comes w/fender braces to prevent cracking of the fender that others have experienced using other extensions.
Please note:
If you trailer your bike and use a wheel chock such as the Condor model, you must either modify the wheel chock or use a much shorter extension!
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/27_show_chrome/3709_gl1800_show_chrome_extra_long_fender_extension/
Edited to show the extension I use available from one of the board sponsors!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've been looking for the 'right' one myself. Not even sure what it looks like, but I'll know it when I see it;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I purchased the same one for my new '10 last winter and after the riding season started - it started cracking my rear front fender. I too bought it because of the extra length and I was aware of the issues with cracking the back of the fender... I had read several reports, but I liked the look and the extra length. I did the extra work to add the brace and it was installed correctly - but yes, it has done damage to my fender. But I still love it... don't know that I would buy it again though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts