Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be leaving the last week of June for a ride from northern Iowa up Thur Duluth MN. to Thunder bay. I'm looking for some riding or points of interest around thunder bay. Then will be riding to Sault ste marie Mi. Is there a nice route to get there or is the best way hwy 17e looks like about 450 miles. Is there any thing to see on that trip? From there crossing the Mackinac bridge and down to ludington and taking the ferry to Manitowoc WI and then to Door county for a couple days and home again. If anyone has rode this or are from the ares and have any advise please let me know thank you in advance.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I have a friend who recently moved to Thunder Bay. I'll get in touch with him and ask about some things to see and do in the area...

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
i think the great lakes museum is up there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check UPCruising.com..also get a free 2012 Motorcycle Guide of the UP at any MI Welcome Center. We like Marquette, visit Presque Isle Park, Superior Dome at NMU, go inside an awesome wood dome structure, football, soccer etc. Also a new cycle road from Munising to Grand Marais MI H58, now paved along Lake Superior cliffs etc. .. We hope to get up there again this summer... want to take new H58 and visit Tahquamenon Falls west of Paradise for sure. Duane S. of MI

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Looks like you have quite a bit of info now, but maybe some of our Ontario members can add to it. Have a great run!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Coming south into Michigan take the trail of Trees on the west side and make sure to stop at Legs Inn. Google it. Great food and scenery in the afternoon and evening.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,344 Posts
Howdy, from a neighbor to the north,

A Great Lakes run is among the best rides in the U.S. It's not just what you'll see, it's the people you'll meet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to every one for all the good information. looks like it will be another great vacation on the bike.

Gary

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thunder Bay can be an experience on it's own, if you are staying for a few days there is lot's to see and do.

For example....
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/slee.htmlhttp://
The Sleeping Giant is unbelievable hiking experience, sorry not much to see if just going for a ride.

For riding stops of the Thunder Bay area.

The terry fox Lookout! http://www.northernwilds.com/pages/Explore/places/terry-fox-scenic-overlook.shtmll
From the lookout you have a great view of the Bay , and you can see how the Sleeping Giant got it's name.

Kakabeka Falls http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/kaka.html
Is a nice place to take a pic of some nice waterfalls and there are also short walking trails.

Ouimet Canyon http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/ouim.html

The Canyon is just..... state of awe, there is also a rope bridge if you have the nerve lol

The 17e is your only road to the Sault, it's a real nice ride with many lookouts and rest stops, through rolling hills, sweeping curves and rock cut's with great views of the lake.
Be sure to gas up in Wawa and check out the Goose :) as after this point gas can be hard to find on your last leg to Sault Ste Marie.

There are many many stops on your way like old woman bay and so on, please ask if you would like some more info.

Greg and Teresa

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thunder Bay

I did it in my 18 years ago i went up to regina witch is north west of Winipeg then i came home through Thunder bay and the sue over the bridge into the upper states It was the best....be very caurfull and watch out for the trucks they fly on the gravel parts and the gravel flies....make shure you fill up every chance you get and if you have a trailer bring a gass can...have fun and ride safe:eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did it in my 18 years ago i went up to regina witch is north west of Winipeg then i came home through Thunder bay and the sue over the bridge into the upper states It was the best....be very caurfull and watch out for the trucks they fly on the gravel parts and the gravel flies....make shure you fill up every chance you get and if you have a trailer bring a gass can...have fun and ride safe:eek:
Well that was 18 years ago lol

The only section about Gas is the trip between Wawa and Sault St Marie ( the Sue) It's 228km that's 142 miles, there is a trading post half way but the gas can be expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going same way

My wife and I will be doing the same trip but when we get to ThunderBay ON we are heading across Canada to Int Falls Mn and then back down thru Mn to Iowa
Duluth to ThunderBay sounds like a great ride
Lighthouse and lots of state parks with waterfalls

Just wondering if you or anyone else has gone across Canada that way???

·
Premium Member
8,344 Posts
Wow, Zoom! That about covers it!

I'd recommend allowing some time for the "North Shore" as we call it, the northwestern shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota. Check out the Army Corps of Engineers museum in Duluth, and if you only have time to stop on the North Shore once or twice, I'd see the "Devil's Kettle" on the Brule River and Nanibojou Lodge, both north of Grand Marais. If you have more time, then there are many beautiful rivers and streams flowing into Lake Superior all along the North Shore.

Have a great trip! I hope to take my wife to Mackinaw Island this autumn via the "low road", Twin Cities to UP Michigan to Mackinaw.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got home last night WHAT A TRIP. Only 1 prolbem it takes way more than a week to do the circle tour of lake superior. highlites for us were the noth shore ride both minesota and the canada side Bettys pies for breakfest the fort williams in Thunder Bay the water falls all along the trip. Mackinaw bridge mackinaw island trail of the trees the pictured rocks in Munising then thru the Copper habor penninsula. I could go on and on the whole trip was great and the poeple we meet were so nice as well. Would like to go back and spend more time next time. Anyone doing this and wants more imfo pm me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts