Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, after picking up my 84 aspencade from a friend, riding it home I finally got a chance to feel it out. Its nice, but the throttle sticks just a little. What is the fix for that??

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
you can lube the cables and the linkage

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
Cable may be rusty inside, you may want to spray WD40 in it. They sell cable lube in the bike shops and they also sell a special tool for the job.
For safety you may want to replace them.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
And for more safety,,, Don't use WD-40 for anything.

WD contains Xylene, hidden under the name "surfactants". You should never get it on your skin or breathe the vapors. If you can smell it, you are breathing the vapors.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
And for more safety,,, Don't use WD-40 for anything.

WD contains Xylene, hidden under the name "surfactants". You should never get it on your skin or breathe the vapors. If you can smell it, you are breathing the vapors.

Bob
So what do you suggest ? I have used WD-40 for years in my business, work, home and used heavily. I have used as much as two cans a day without gloves or anything, getting my hands soaked with it for years.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I had to take a chemical class some years back for some products I was carrying and the "Forensic Scientist" that gave it, told us about a few everyday items that are dangerous, WD being one.

Personally, since then, I have oly used WD for starting fluid on engines (with gloves)

I uuse AMSOIL MP but for the average person, due to availability, I would go with Liquid Wrench.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
So what do you suggest ? I have used WD-40 for years in my business, work, home and used heavily. I have used as much as two cans a day without gloves or anything, getting my hands soaked with it for years.
Do you have a third eye? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
qball, the GL1200's with the exception of the EFI model had flat slid carbs that were prone to sticking, it may not be your cable(s). Lots of us used Bardahl Injectrkleen on every 3rd or 4th tank of fuel, worked like a charm. If you are replacing the cables, you'll need to take off some of the tupperware to expose the engine better. Have got a service manual? If no send me a PM

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
No, but you may worry one day when you have no feeling or your legs just come out from under you as it kills the nerves in your spine.

But hey, the Government says it's safe... But, aren't they the same people who said BVO, DDT and a host of other things were safe too?

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I worked in a paint manufacturing facility for 17 years without a respirator and washed equipment everyday getting solvents up to my armpits along with dumping bags of pol-vinyl chloride by the thousands. No extra appendages or deformities at this time. I used the bulk of the WD-40 over 20 years ago. I think if I have any problems it will be from the paint ingredients.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.