Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 08 gl1800.5500 miles on it .When I open the throttle at first (accelerate from 0) theres a real surge / lurch forward unless Im real easy adding throttle.Is this normal? might it be that its getting broken in now?maybe Im just more aware of it now or is there an ajustment that needs to be made.

Also ther seems to be a fair bit of engine noise untill it warms up and throttles down when its first started cold.

Is a bit of a clunk normal when shifting?

Maybe Im getting to sensitive about this bike since Im liking more all the time.

Any opions are very welcome.

Thanks too all

Little wing

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There is an adjustment for the throttle cable, and that will probably help the lurch problem, loosen the top cable and move the barrell away back and that will take the slack out

The noise and shifting are normal for the 1800 Gold Wing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know this post is a few years old but I am having the same issue. I adjusted the top adjustment but didn't seem to help. The "lurch" is kind of unnerving. If I move the adjustment nut to far back, the bike revs up when I turn the handlebatrs to the left.

According to the maintenace manual the to get to the other adjustment (2008 GL1800) I have to take the top shelters off. I just got the bike in the fall and that seems like a big job. How bad is that to do?

My other question is, I put risers on the handlebars, would this affect the throttle play?

·
Registered
844 Posts
You shouldn't have to remove the shelter to adjust the cable. Look up under the front of the bike, left side( sitting on the bike), you should see the adjuster for the throttle cable. You may have to remove the lower cowl and upper cowl, not sure. I did this adjustment on my '04 and I don't think I had to remove anything. A little hard to get to but a lot easier than removing the entire fairing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK, now I have a dumb question. To take the slack out on the top adjuster, do I turn the adjustment nut clockwise, so there is less thread showing, or counterclockwise, so more thread is showing? Would it be the same on the bottom adjuster?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've never had to adjust mine so I'm really not sure on procedure off the top of my head. I know you have to remove the shelter somewhat to adjust the cruise linkage, but not sure about what you are talking about. From Joe's description it sounds like moving it out/back is the way.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Turn it counter clockwise so more thread is showing, to remove slack.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The top adjustment is to remove play from the twist grip. What is probably happening, is that you open the throttle slowly with no response, then all of a sudden it adds power. Annoying when trying to manuever at very slow speeds. This is the one that needs to be lenghtened in your case.

The one under the tunnel, is for taking the slack out of the cruise control. I.E. you engage the cruise and there is a hestitation and the speed slows down before cruise takes up the slack in cruise cable.. If memory serves me correctly, you don't need to take off the tunnel, just the meter panel, and peel back a flap on the right side.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The adjustment under the front, above the right radiator adjusts the throttle cable. As far as the cruise, it is located under the meter panel near the ignition switch, under the black covers.

You should be able to put the ones on the handlebars back to the original position and then adjust the ones under the fairing to take out most of the slack, and then tweak the ones on the handlebars.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I stand corrected BCIHIL. You are right. It was about 4 years ago when I adjusted the cruise. The memory is good, but it is getting really short.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I also have to correct myself. The cable is located above the LEFT radiator. I must have been standing on my head. Blood flow problem!

·
Registered
42 Posts
HELP! I was not able to get adjust the throttle cable to get the lurch out. I took the bike to the dealer for other work and I specifically asked them to check the throttle cable. When I picked the bike up today they said the cable return linkage was to tight and they adjusted it. I took the bike for a test ride and still the “lurch” was there. I went back to the dealer and told them about it. They had the mechanic come out and he told me everything was adjusted properly. I told him about the problem and he blamed everything from the foam pads I put on the grips to my “not being used to the bike yet”

He did take it back and ran a check on the electronics to see if the throttle position sensor was working correctly. When he came back he said everything looked good. He also said “I didn’t experience the problem when I test rode it”. I tried to get him ride with me so I could demonstrate, be he did not want to do that. Said he would call Honda on Monday to ask about it but what I was experiencing was “normal for a Gold Wing”.

My problem is exactly what “little wing” talked about in the beginning of the post. Not sure what to do now, but my question is, “Is this normal for a Gold Wing?” My bike is also a 2008, same a “little wing”

To “little wing”, did you ever get this problem to go away?

MGH

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
That kinda problem isn't normal on any motorcycle that I know about. Seems to me something isn't quite right there. I'd take it to a different mechanic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
2 cents...my '06 has a touchy throttle at first also.
I thought I read of this being pretty "normal" for the 1800's, no?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
My 07 has that lurch problem too. I asked about it in a post a year or two ago and got various replys. The best one was to start off in 2nd gear. Been doing that ever since and it sure nuff cured the problem. I only use 1st now when pulling a trailer and absolutely think I need it. Starting off in 2nd doesn't lug the motor either. Try it, you'll like it...:D Isaac

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you put risers on it you may need to get longer cables.
Supposedly not. I know that Chopin & Crowfire both put on risers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts