Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding a Honda VTX for over 100,000, and just switched over to my first Goldwing. I love the bike, but hate my throttle hand always being sore and numb. I didn't have this problem with my VTX. I'm trying to determine how to fix the problem.

My Goldwing is a 2001 1800.

Here are the differences:

1. VTX has custom grips which seem to be a little fatter than the Goldwing. I have put the rubber slip ons on the Goldwing, which seemed to help a little.
2. The angle of the grips are different between the two. Goldwing is more perpendicular with the bike than the VTX.
3. I have a throttle rest on the VTX which worked great. I've tried different throttle rests on the Goldwing with no success.
4. I do have cruise control on the Goldwing, which is great on longer stretches, but I don't use it on the short stretches on the freeway.
5. I have tried various wrist braces on the Goldwing, and it doesn't help.

Has anyone else experienced this on their Goldwings?

·
Premium Member
23,500 Posts
If a beefier grip would help, there are two possible options. One is the Kuryakyn overlay grips, the other is foam overlays . Google " Grip Puppies " for the foam overlays. The third option is a Throttle Rocker/ Boss, etc., sold at most motorcycle shops.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,500 Posts
I would think if it is just your Throttle side then a Throttle Rocker may be the ticket. You want to ease your grip and wrist position without affecting speed.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Another option might be handle bar risers. The Kury grips helped me a lot, but when I added the risers, things got even better.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I had “throttle fingers” every time I rode the bike from gripping to tight for too long on the throttle. Tried the Cramp Buster which completely resolved issue. Press down with the heel of your palm and you never have to grip the throttle again. $10.00. I never leave home without it.

·
Super Moderator
27,607 Posts
As the guys have said a little tweaking and all will be well in your world.

I am a believer in the Kury iso-grips with the attached throttle rocker. Stylish and functional but a bit costlier than the foam overlays and the Cramp Buster that my friend Sir Edward mentioned. Still my choice of ways to go though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
As the guys have said a little tweaking and all will be well in your world.

I am a believer in the Kury iso-grips with the attached throttle rocker. Stylish and functional but a bit costlier than the foam overlays and the Cramp Buster that my friend Sir Edward mentioned. Still my choice of ways to go though.

The biggest draw back to the Iso Grips is it greatly reduces the heat in heated grip. Now with Grip Puppies I currently have not an issue. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
27,607 Posts
The biggest draw back to the Iso Grips is it greatly reduces the heat in heated grip. Now with Grip Puppies I currently have not an issue. :smile2:
Sorry.....some of us still have old technology Wings....no heated grips.

;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same problem with the ISO grips, and they are pretty fat. I got one of the throttle boss attachments(pictured in second post) . It took care of 95% of the problem. It fits under the cap on the end and has slotted holes to adjust position. It hits the heel of your hand nicely and allows you to relax your grip. There is also enough room to use grip normally like you didnt have one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
just got my bike.....last week ….. initially, I had numbness in my right hand. now I have none! what have I done? I installed the Kury grips and throttle boss. I also have relaxed. I'm a big guy and I need bigger grips than stock. The Kury's fit the bill....and I have them on my VTX. getting a new bike is very stressful.....so the initial rides caused me to grip tighter.....this causes numbness due to nerve compression. If you get this and it persists, see a doc, especially if it wakes you up at night. You may have carpal tunnel syndrome.....which is very easily treated surgically! (I did a million of these) Or you can change your grips and relax!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought about getting the Kuryakin clamshells, but tried the grip puppies first and have to say the puppies are fine. What do the Kuryakin clamshell iso grips offer that justify the higher cost vs the grip puppies ?

·
Super Moderator
27,607 Posts
I thought about getting the Kuryakin clamshells, but tried the grip puppies first and have to say the puppies are fine. What do the Kuryakin clamshell iso grips offer that justify the higher cost vs the grip puppies ?
I would say on a guess, the most likely thing is styling of the grips. I have always had Iso-Grips so nothing to compare them too. Any grip that increases the diameter of the OEM and provides isolation should fit the bill. What I like to call the Baskin-Robbins effect.

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
I put the foamies on my bike a couple years back. Very little numbness now. I also found that the type of gloves can affect your hands. My large insulated gauntlets give me grief more so than my sport or racing gloves do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts