Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All... First time post here. I'm a long time Honda rider (Shadows and currently a VTX). Looks like I'm finally going to get a new Gold Wing, but looking to get a used one. I have found one from a dealer and have met the original owner, who traded it in for a can-am trike, as his health has deteriorated a bit over the past few years and holding up the bike is just too hard. Anyway it is a 2008 GW and has only the 'premium audio' package (no comfort, navi or abs). The only add-ons are Kuryakin Back Rest and Kuryakin Luggage Rack. Blue Book has this bike at just around 15600 from a dealer. He had priced at 17900 and I was able to get him down to 16700. I know its a little over a grand than dealer blue book, but I'm still thinking of getting it, as it only has 175 miles on it. The owner kept it in his airplane hanger with his other bikes and had it tendered the whole time and did start it once a week and rode it around the hanger once a month or two. My thinking is since the miles are so low, it may be worth paying that extra grand over blue book. I've test driven and it starts right up, runs/handles great and all items on the bike work as expected. Your thoughts??? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like a good bike, but I wouldn't pay that much for it. You can probably still find new left-over 2010s for around the same price, with factory warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,118 Posts
I purchased my pre-owned '08 in '09, Comfy, Navi , 8,000 miles on her, for $18,000. The three year factory warranty has expired , unless the owner bought the additional four year coverage , but that should not be a deal breaker considering the reliable history of the Wing. The important thing is : What color ?

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
A mint '08 would go for around $19k up here (but that includes most or all of the bells and whistles: only the airbag is optional in Canada), so I'd say $16.5 is a fair deal. Of course there's no harm in trying to talk him down....

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
I'd talk to the PO and find out what the dealer gave him in trade for it. I'd take this info and KBB or other valuations and can of whoop for some serious negotiations!:3dcool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
There are really only 2 things that determine the value of a bike or anything for that matter. How mych are you willing to pay for it and how mych do you have available to pay for it. To someone else, it may be worth more or less, but hopefully, if you want it, they are not buying it.

Personally, no bike is worth that to me. I refuse to pay that much for any vehicle. On the other hand if you guys don't do it, then they won't be available for me to buy later when the prices go down.

Aaron

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Too many deals out there on used bikes to pay above value. Keep an eye out and you'll find a great bike at a bargain price. I found my 2010 1800 with 6,000 or so miles on it from Craig's list for $16,000 that had two years left on the warranty, which will expire in Nov. Mint condition and like brand new. Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd go with the blue book price and use that as a bargaining position.. lack of abs is a price dropper.. there are lots of wings in the US with lets say 30.000 miles..for less money..with all the bells and whistles ...having the bike sit for years is not a good thing plus when it was started did it come up to operating temp each time.. if not that is not good ..

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If that mileage is true, then it's a steal @ $1,000 over book value.
It should already be in your garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm amazed the dealer came off the asking price at all!

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Mileage says it's brand new. Year says it's 5 years old. I paid $17.8k for my 09 new with warranty. If you really like it and are not concerned with a warranty go for it. If you want a warranty look for a left over 2010-12 for about $2.5k more.

Good luck..

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
OK... Again, thanks a ton for all your replies and suggestions. I went down with the blue book info and I was able to get it for $16,000 and he paid for the registration of the bike for 2014 (tags set to expire next month). It was a small mom/pop place and the guy was very cool to deal with. I came down Friday morning with info from Kelley as well as different prices from other shops/ebay/sites and he was understanding of what he had and what was fair. He asked for a day to think on it and called me yesterday (Saturday morning) and told me he'd take the offer and I went straight down, picked it up and rode all day yesterday. I really love my VTX, but damn riding a Gold Wing, is like nothing else! Thanks again for all the input... Cheers!
Congrads on the new bike, sounds like you got a good deal. I don't think there is another bike out there that compares to the Goldwing for riding and comfort.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Registered
51 Posts
congrats on the new bike :WellDone:..with one with so few miles but a number of years old it may be a good idea to change all the oils ..engine ..final drive..brakes front and back ..antidive ..Clutch and then
and just ride it

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
Congrats! I bet you're still :D.

·
Administrator
28,998 Posts
Now you can ride & enjoy the new Wing.

Congrats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status