Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've been poking around on Craigslist and whatnot looking for a good project bike to supplement my Ural... something that will eventually go faster and get better MPG, and be relatively easy to maintain myself. Dirt cheap has been my primary requirement, like sub $500. I never would have thought about an old Goldwing, but I keep finding late 1970's fixer-uppers around $400! Fine looking machines, IMHO. My commute is about 1 hour each way on mostly open highway, so something along those lines would probably work better than any of the other bikes I've found.

My question to the experts: how much trouble are these old bikes? Are there any quirks or issues to look out for? If I got one running, is it going to be a constant battle to keep it in working order? This would be the first 4 cylinder bike I've ever worked with, and with carbs, I could see that becoming tricky business.

Thanks for any help!

~SM

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome Swordsman. Lots of rebuilt and restored GL1000 bikes roaming around. They are NOT terribly difficult or troublesome. However, as they are approaching the 30-40 year old mark, some specific parts can be a bit hard to source. Being Goldwings, they are very durable bikes by design. Whether you find one in decent restorable shape in your price range, that's where the ground work comes in. Personally, I'd try and find one that's already in prime shape and totally rideable, might be less expensive in the long haul.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know they're not finicky. As far as restoring, so long as I could get running gear parts I'd be happy. This would become more of a beater bike, quite possibly a rat bike depending on the state of disrepair. I tend to gravitate towards naked anyway. :D

~SM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Multiple carbs are not that scary. That is, unless you've never worked on a carb before, then it can be tricky, but not a lot to learn there. If you've ever worked on any multi-cylinder bike, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Good to know they're not finicky. As far as restoring, so long as I could get running gear parts I'd be happy. This would become more of a beater bike, quite possibly a rat bike depending on the state of disrepair. I tend to gravitate towards naked anyway. :D

~SM
Rats can be real cool machines in their own way, but you could end up with a real sweet ride with just a good old 'nekkid' Wing. They are still a very desirable bike!

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I bought this 1977 GL1000 new and just sold it in 2005 with only 33,000 miles on it. I loved that old Wing but you have to get use to the wind and the bugs in the face. The bike was fun to ride and never had any major issues. I rebuilt the carburetors a couple of years before selling it. The only thing I found was that the carburetors a bit tricky to get synchronized when the linkage gets worn.

I think I paid somewhere around $2800 for it when it was new.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
my nicec lisa had a '79, what a great bike! she had a plexafairing on it to cut down the breeze. she rides a nekked 1100 with a plexafairing now and its nice too but for some reason i like the 1000 better

·
Registered
365 Posts
+1

The classic wings are very rideable AND very popular with many riders, I belong to the NGW site..Naked GoldWing Club.
It's a fantastic site with a host of dedicated members who love the older wings.
Much like this site, they are very friendly and can answer ANY questions from soup to nuts!..lol..(when was the last time you heard that one) you may have about the older wings.:D

www.ngwclub.com

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
The classic wings are very rideable AND very popular with many riders, I belong to the NGW site..Naked GoldWing Club.
It's a fantastic site with a host of dedicated members who love the older wings.
Much like this site, they are very friendly and can answer ANY questions from soup to nuts!..lol..(when was the last time you heard that one) you may have about the older wings.:D

www.ngwclub.com
This may sound odd coming from someone that likes gadgets, but I wouldn't have an issue with the newer Goldwing being built as a plain GL1800 without all of the bell and whistles. Although I enjoy the heck out of my new 2012, it would be nice to climb on without all of the electronic gadgets and not be concerned with something failing or not working like it should. Know what I mean?

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
SM,

Like all Wings, Vintage ones were built bulletproof and last forever with occasional maintenance. Parts availability is the challenge with older ones, if you want to stay OEM. If you don't care about that and want to play with it where your imagination takes you, then I can't think of a better project bike than a Vintage Wing.

Look forward to the photo documentary of your work!

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I hate it when this happens. The guy that bought my 1977 GL1000 Goldwing that I bought new may has ridden it twice since buying it from me in 2005. It sits under a car-port un-covered and has never been washed. The battery is dead and the same fuel is in the tank.

WHAT A WASTE!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I hate it when this happens. The guy that bought my 1977 GL1000 Goldwing that I bought new may has ridden it twice since buying it from me in 2005. It sits under a car-port un-covered and has never been washed. The battery is dead and the same fuel is in the tank. WHAT A WASTE!

I'd buy it back from him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.