Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We see it way too much down here. Not sure what they meant by back seat since Corvette's don't have back seats, but no mater, wasn't good for that guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Texting -

Scary - In some what of a similar accident, I had a long time riding buddy get hit from behind by a cager at a stop sign. The negligent driver was suspected of texting.

Even with lots of safe miles under my belt, I'm still a bit paranoid and always keep my head on a swivel at an intersection.

Michael

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
For the last 3 years, and I will continue, in one of my math classes, I work with velocity and acceleration and other unit conversions. During this we are converting miles per hour to feet per second. Then I have them work in groups of three, one has has to have their phone on a chair beside them, one of them texts that one a short message, the instant they pick up their phone and glance at it, the 3rd has to time how long their eyes were on their phone, they each have to do it to get the times. Then I have them to pretend they are driving, when I flash a red light they have to hit the brakes, I have a metronome going, we get a good estimate of how long that took, we add the hit the brake time to the read text time. Multiply that by feet per second of 60mph, 70mph, and 40mph, the popular speed limits around the area. Then we go into the hallway and have three groups of 2 count off the tiles in the floor and stand at the distance we calculated. Every time I have done this they get unreal silent and usually a couple tear up when they see just how far they go with out looking at the road.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
We see it way too much down here. Not sure what they meant by back seat since Corvette's don't have back seats, but no mater, wasn't good for that guy.
Instant death is way too merciful for the pain and suffering they cause others who survive. Hope there's a special tribunal beyond where they have to face the horrors of the texting while driving transgression. There ain't no escaping our conscience. 0:) Meanwhile the innocent are it's victims. Maybe they ought to do hard time in the Outback picking up kangeroo poo. :surprise:

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
I really like the math room experiment, does wonders for letting reality sink in.
Take a football field for example: 100 yards = 300 feet. At 60 mph (call it standard highway speed) you are traveling 88 feet per second. That means you cover a full football field in 3.4 seconds. Technically a very safe separation distance by today's acceptable driving standards.
At full attention, it takes the average motorist 2 seconds to recognize and react to a hazard directly in front of them. Then once reaction turns into defensive action, by the time adequate braking force takes place you are already past/through your obstacle or hazard. One potato, two potato ....crunch.:serious:

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
One of my good friends lost his wife to woman texting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts