Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

thought I had a bike on the line.

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  BobRyder 
#1 ·
I found a low mileage (27Kmiles), 93 SE about 3 hours out. price seemed good. so I wrote the guy an email with some questions and that soon as I could get clear would like to come look and if I liked, test ride, with cash in hand. He told me I can look all I want but nobody rides the bike until its paid for. I could watch him do it. ??? really, you want me to drive one way for 3 hours to give you 5300 dollars and take it without riding it. I told him if he changed his mind I would sign that if I went down, I bought it fulll price. no answer.

bob

#4 ·
the problem with this is, I ride the bike down the street and find some strange handling issue, that shouldnt be there. he has my money and a signed bill of sale. I have a new used bike I have to figure out whats wrong with it before its even safe to ride. I tell him I dont want it, I have no leverage. hey, he can ride or drive behind me, Ill sign a paper saying I go down, its mine at full price. show him im not joking, as I have cash. I think thats reasonable. in any case, I aint buying anything I havent ridden.

#3 ·
I sold my C50 Boulevard. Let the guy test ride it and was scared to death. If he drops it, he ain't buying it. Don't blame either sides

#9 ·
Here's an Ole Fossil's position. As Ref said can't really blame anyone for being cautious, including you.

Take your money, go down, meet the man face to face & I'm sure you can come to a mutual agreement. It's can make all the difference in the world when two MEN look each other in the eye & negotiate.

If that can't or won't work then I would say pass on the bike there are plenty of good used Wings out there.

#10 ·
This is what I thought of the whole time the guy was riding my C50

#11 · (Edited)
This is what I thought of the whole time the guy was riding my C50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CG5HozkvAc
That's funny Phil. As a buyer I want to ride it first. As a seller I hope they don't. The last two bikes I sold the buyer didn't ride. Man was I happy about that. The last bike I bought I couldn't ride because it needed work. I knew that and took a chance but my inner sense felt ok about it. What's my point? Seems like every circumstance is different. Probably need to size up each situation differently and go with your inner gut feelings. There are some that won't get their greasy fingers on my keys and others would feel ok with. Like Bill said, look them in the eye and size them up. I'm a pretty good judge of character so my deal is judge each person and circumstance individually.

#15 ·
It does make a difference dealing face to face as Bill mentioned. When I'm doing test rides, I leave the shop on the sale bike, and the prospective buyer rides his own (trade-in scenario). The we get a couple miles out, and we switch. He gets the feel of the new bike, and I get to scope out his trade-in.
For a used buyer, it's common for an owner to not allow test pilots. I have 40 years and half a million miles under my belt, but that's how I bought my RC51. I drove 3 hours on speculation based on what we had e-mailed back and forth and telephone calls. Still no test jockey ride, he was adamant (for all he knew I was full of crap about my riding credentials right?). By the time I was done with the visual/tech inspection he realized that I was no dummy and he said if I wanted to take it for a spin I could. About then the sky opened up and a deluge ensued so I paid him his coin and we loaded the bike in the truck and I headed for home.
Most owners need to feel some sense of confidence in a prospective buyer before allowing anyone on the bike let alone operate it solo, I know I do. If I ever were to sell my RC (or my Wing for that matter), the first thing out of my mouth after asking the buyer's age and experience, would be a refusal of a test ride. He'd have to earn it, and there'd be coin in my hand and a bill of sale in his prior to departure. And I'd still be riding along with them.

#17 ·
I agree with Bill as well. I think a phone call versus email would also help. I also have sold, owned and ridden many bikes. Im 52, been riding since 15, owned everything from dressers, to sportster to a nasty sport bike. I still would feel almost uncomfortable takin his wing. its a newer thing for me. maybe if I talk long enough and show some experience and that I have the cash, in my hand (willing to sign a waiver if need be, thats what I did) he might be willing. its a pretty nice bike for 5k. I thought it was a 93, but its a 91 with 27k. its an aspencade, and has some nice extras and tasteful pinstriping. so its hard to pass up. shoot might even be gone by weekend lol,, then this all be moot wont it.

thanks all for your opinions.

#19 ·
I require a valid motorcycle license and I keep my bike under insurance until it's sold. I've never required money upfront and have never been required to furnish funds first when buying from a private individual. Doesn't mean I'm right about this only that it's worked for me so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.