Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, picked up the 85 se goldwing yesterday. Everything works, charges like its supposed to etc. Now to the new wing dude questions lol. I know about the stator problem on these bikes, so I will in the next week or so be hard soldering the stator wires replacing the dog bone fuses etc. Couple of questions I have though for you good folks.
Does soldering those stator wires etc, normally prevent the stator from burning out? Or was that a factory boo boo that Im eventually going to have to do the alternator conversion anyway???

Also if there is anything I can do now to this bike that anyone knows of that will prevent future troubles id love to know about them. Ive rode for years but this is my first wing. Its most likely the last bike wife and I will buy and its going to be doing trips from ky to tx, dakotas, etc over the next few summers so Id like to get it as bulltet proof as I can.
There seems to be a lot of info here on these bikes so instead of picking up the tricks the hard way aka wife and me stuck on the side of the road lol, figured I ask for suggestions here. Thanks be safe Ghost

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Hard wiring it will help it to last longer but will not totally stop the stator from going out. Problem is some last a long time others have gone out in 20,000 miles, my 05 went out at 45,000 miles. It will help if you do not have a bunch of after market lights on the bike. or if you do, put them on a switch and only run them at night, Also the best thing you can add is a volt meter, it will let you know when you about to be in trouble. Once you and your wife take a few trips on it I'm sure you will looking for another newer Gold Wing in the future, probably a nice 1500 would be a good move if you do a lot of 2 up riding. Here is my wife and I in 94 I think, on my 92. I loved my 85 1200 but had to upgrade to a 1500, Then another 1500 then to an 02 and now my 08.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe great looking bike by btw. I doubt we will be able to upgrade to another bike however. Both of us are on fixed income and only managed this one due to a bit of unexpected money. This one has a volt meter on it looks like its factory.
It will be at something like 12 volt right after starting then jump to 14.5 and stay there for a while then drop to like 13.5 after a min or two while warming up. Once im pulled out and running it pretty much stays at 14.3 to 14.5 at speed. At idle at a light or whatever it will drop back to 12.5 or around that until I pick the revs up again.
It only has the lights on it that came from the factory except for a row of LEDs that the man i bought it from said the dealer shop told him to disconnect when he had the new regulator put on a few months ago. Didnt think LEDs would draw that much power but i suppose ill leave them disconneted. Other than that the bike is totally stock.
We did my friends alternator conversion on his 84 wing so I know what that entails and it only costs about 70 bucks to do it. I might just run this winter on the stator and do the conversion early spring so I wont have to worry about it. Thanks for the reply Ghost :D

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Well I know you will have many many happy miles on that bike, have fun and be careful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts