Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would thought that if I dropped it, I couldn't pick it up?

That being said.........This morning I parked on a "very" slight incline, and put the stand down. Was about to get off, when it rolled forward and started to fall over. I nearly blew a gasket trying to keep it from falling, and finally let it lay over on the crash bar. I got off, and proceeded to stand the bike back up.

Dammmn......This thing is heavy! By the time I got it lifted back up....I was seeing stars. Now I'm aching all over!

Is there a trick to picking this thing up, or do I need to just rent a backhoe in the event I drop it?

Marty

Brand New Wing Owner

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Youtube

Very interesting!

Looked easy enough......I wasted those stars for nothing.

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago I put my sidestand down and started to get off and I guess the weight transfer did it and Stella rolled forward a little and started to go down I stopped her but just barely.
So I guess my point is I now grab a handfull of front brake every time I get on or off, just a suggestion.
Jerry

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Just like weightlifting, it's more technique than power. I just hope the adrenaline doesn't fail me for the next time it happens to me...that really helps; kind of like Nos for the muscles:cool:

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I was fortunate to pick my Wing up for the first time under controlled conditions. The bike was laid over, carefully, to remove the rear tire and subsequently up righted. I watched the video over a year ago so I understood the technique, but I needed an occasion to try it. Worked for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i dropped the 1500 last sunday when i went on my walmart doubledup gelpad test run and got it back up just like in the vid

·
Super Moderator
11,813 Posts
I've never had to pick up my Wing. :rolleyes:

That I'll admit anyway. :eek:

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I've never had to pick up my Wing. :rolleyes:
That I'll admit anyway. :eek:
A Wise Man once said:

There are those that have had to pick up their Wing !

And

There are those that are going to have to pick up their Wing !
;)

From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I am 70 yrs. old and can still pick her up. I guess when I can't I will have her triked.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
The guy I bought my wing from said "if you've never dropped a bike.....all thats going to change now." I have dropped mine 3 times since....Gotten back up every time....looked around sheepishly:eek: and saddled back up with no harm. She is built to be dropped. I have thought about just parking it that way:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Dropped mine with the wife on it ! How did that go ? Not so good !! She was so mad she was able to pick it up and put it on the stand while i was laughing !!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Don't they just lay over nicely. Kind of like a beached whale. If you follow the video they are not that hard to get upright. Find an empty parking lot with no one around and give it a try.. Just make sure you don't have highway pegs on the crash/engine bars...

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Ok everyone should know that a Goldwing likes to take "naps" every now and then.....So if yours has not had to take a "nap" yet, then it will sometime in the future.

Welcome to all of those that are now in the new "Goldwing Nap Club" !!!!

And yes the video does help to wake her up!!!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
My Wing has been down 3 times this year due to KS winds over 50 mph hitting the bike. Twice while parked, and once when I was trying to move it after it had gone down and another gust caught me (yeah, down twice in about 10 minutes). Scratched the right mirror pretty good and rotated my highway pegs (snug but not bolt breaking tight).

Lucky thing for me is I had watched the video before the bike went down the first time, and with the technique shown, it was a piece of cake lifting her back up. Twice I had people running over to help me, but I popped her up before they got there. As someone said adrenaline is potent. BTW, Honda's touch-up for Metallic Titanium is a bit dark. :(

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
3 weeks ago i pulled up to a red light and i went to put my feet down my left one went right into a big pot hole that i didn't see i tried to fight it but i slowly let it down , i had watched this video that was posted and remembered how to do it , it was not so bad

·
Registered
51 Posts
old saying

there are 2 kinds of motorcycle riders, "There are motorcycle riders who have gone down, and there are motorcycle riders who are going to go down"!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Have seen CD of a young lady, maybe 120 lb tops pick up her GW, but danged if I could do it. Must be getting old or something. Gonna have to try that again but I really would rather it be someone else'd GW that is down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I laid my Gwing down once in a HS parking lot while practicing sharp turn from standing still. When in the stationary position, I tilted the bike a little to the left with the handle bar turned to the left. I took off OK. Next try, I tilted the bike a little more, well the dead weight was too much, the bike just fell to the ground. I was surprised that I was able to pick it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts